The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Monday, December 11, 2006

Showing his true colours

Having succesfully pissed of all his core supporters, it's nice to see David Cameron showing his true colours with his "family values" campaign. A good way to lose that little support he has gained from gullible voters (yes, RCA, I AM looking at you pointedly!).

It has long been the view of the right wing that if only everyone behaved like proper christian families everything would be all right, but on the few occasions they have made it a specific policy, it has generally backfired on them.

"If marriage rates went up, if divorce rates came down, if more couples stayed together for longer, would our society be better off? My answer is yes."

Ahhhh, THAT's how to solve the worlds ills. Make marriage the ambition of your life, only allow children to born into wedlock, and disallow divorce. Because when the country was run like that, we didn't have any crime!

Although, of course, it didn't apply to the rich anyway, so why should Dave "the man of the people" care. He was born to a rich father, a titled mother, raised in beautiful & expensive Oxfordshire, attended Eton - one of the most exclusive & expensive public (read private if you are not aware of the strange English school descriptions) schools in the world, and then in Oxford University - where halls are compulsory and cost more than twice the grant + loan for a year! In his adult life he has continued to keep his feet squarely on the ground with the masses by waltzing into a nepotistic job with the tory party, marrying someone who was both titled AND rich, and since becomming leader has happily continued to excersise the "old school tie" philosophy by ensuring the majority of all appointments are given to old Etonians!

Of course, I'm sure that he thinks I am just wonderful, having left my disfunctional & benefit depandent roots to go to University, buy my own home, get married & have children - in that order too! But I know that under tory party policy that became progressively harder and harder to do, as unemployment rose, grants shrunk (dissappeared) , interest rates shot through the roof, and state benefits were cut.

still, everyone knows that all single parents are bad parents, all non-working families are a drain on society and not getting married destroys the very fabric of our community, so he must be right then!

9 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, December 12, 2006 6:19:00 pm, Blogger Paste said…

    That post doesn't do you any credit at all. It comes across as bitter and twisted, jealous and sarcastic. Love him or hate him and you just seem jealous of him, he can't help his background and it's a bit tough to get sarcy with him just because he fell in love with a girl who comes from a well off background. We all tend to meet partners who come from similar backgrounds.

    It's a no brainer that it's better to have two parents (of the opposite sex), that the 'family' is the best way to bring up kids as you are doing yourself. No one (not even DC) has said all single parents are bad, it's just a statistical fact that more problem children/adults come from this scenario and sure it's a about a lot more than this, money, opportunity etc etc.
    Before you ask I do not vote Tory.

     
  • At Tuesday, December 12, 2006 6:49:00 pm, Blogger Juggling Mother said…

    "It's a no brainer that it's better to have two parents (of the opposite sex), that the 'family' is the best way to bring up kids"

    no it's not a no-brainer! having grown up with parents who stayed together "for the childen" I would catagorically say that I would have had a much better childhood had they split up! Living ith constant argumets, fights and acrimonious allegations is not a good way to bring up your kids!

    And that's ignoring the tens of thousends of children stuck with violent, abusive or neglectful parents!

    How is a child better of living with married parents that detest each other than with unmarried ones that love each other?

    How is society better off by insisting couples stay together even if they have grown so far apart that neither has the chance to live their own lives while "weighted down" with the other?

     
  • At Tuesday, December 12, 2006 7:09:00 pm, Blogger craziequeen said…

    OMIGOD - so I am destroying the fabric of our community??

    [snorts]

    like I care if Mr Csameron cares......

    cq

     
  • At Tuesday, December 12, 2006 8:58:00 pm, Blogger Emily said…

    Oh Paste

    I completely disagree. My parents were together for 12 years. For eight of them I know they hated each other, threw things at each other while I was upstairs in my bedroom with my head under a pillow to make their screaming stop. My mother was much more supportive to me when they divorced and her second husband is like a second father to me and enriched my life.

    I've loads of gay friends who want children and would make the most wonderful parents. I have divorced friends who are the most dedicated parents - far less lazy than me who doesn't read and play with their kids all day long like they do.

    I grew up in search of normality - a normal family life. After going out with many boys from "stable" families, I can see that every family has a dark side and secrets. Normal doesn't exist - except in politics.

    JM, I am going to blog about this I think.

     
  • At Wednesday, December 13, 2006 10:21:00 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    Paste - 'two parents of the opposite sex' lets not go near that shall we...

    JM - fair enough it is a bit of a typical Tory report however in his defence (despite the rather badley phrased comments from I D-S "He has previously also indicated he favoured similar tax allowances for same sex couples in civil partnerships if they have children." Now that's a step forward.

    I think a stable home is important but two parents does not always stability make - we need to seperate out this idea that only with two parents can a child be proparly raised while not loosing sight that having a loving involved and socially responsible parent (or parents) does help...

    I still like Cameron more than i can say I like any Tory, I probably wont vote for him but I think he is as a whole trying to lead the party in the right direction

     
  • At Wednesday, December 13, 2006 4:30:00 pm, Blogger Paste said…

    Hang on I never even slightly indicated that married people should stay together come what may!

    JM - 'Living ith constant argumets, fights and acrimonious allegations is not a good way to bring up your kids!' - I totally agree.

    All I was saying is that a stable family with married parents is by all the stats available the best way for kids.

    cq - that's just the sort of response that I was saying doesn't do the writer justice.

    rca - 'Paste - 'two parents of the opposite sex' lets not go near that shall we...' why not, what's the problem? Kids are better off with role models of both genders, why should one be scared to say that? It doesn't mean that gay people are bad. I have no problem with gay people at all, but that doesn't mean that I think that gay couples should have children. In fact they have a lifestyle (is that the right way to put it, not sure, I just don't want to put choice as I dion't think that you chose to be gay) that precludes the having of children and I sure don't belive in people who think that 'I want a child so I'm going to have one'. They are a gift not a job lot to purchase.

    Couples at war with each other make bad parents, married or not, but relationship splits are also very traumatic to the children.

     
  • At Wednesday, December 13, 2006 6:45:00 pm, Blogger craziequeen said…

    s'ok Paste, I was just referring to the comment "If marriage rates went up, if divorce rates came down, if more couples stayed together for longer, would our society be better off? My answer is yes."
    and
    'not getting married destroys the very fabric of our community'.....

    MB and I never married...

    :-)

    cq

     
  • At Thursday, December 14, 2006 9:32:00 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    Paste - I think two loving parents can be either a straight or gay couple and saying that a gay couple lacks proper/balanced role models could be seen to assume that hetrosexual couples and parents automatically make good role models.

    I do think its important to have POSITIVE male/female influences on a child but having said that those role models are not always the parents, I dont beleive that two loving caring but same sex parents are necessarilly a bad arrangement anymore than two alcoholic, abusive hetrosexual parents are a good thing for a child.

    (P.S. I'm not implying any group generalisation - I'm saying that just because 'you' biologically produce a child it doesn't necessarily mean 'your' the best person to raise it. Gay Parents and other couples who adopt have to go through extensive vetting processes)

    (PPS - unless your called Madonna)

     
  • At Thursday, December 14, 2006 5:52:00 pm, Blogger Emily said…

    "I think two loving parents can be either a straight or gay couple and saying that a gay couple lacks proper/balanced role models could be seen to assume that hetrosexual couples and parents automatically make good role models."
    ----

    That's the entire point. Straight married parents DO NOT automatically make good role models. Being straight and able to shag and produce a child does not qualify you as a good parent. You have to work at it and learn along the way. The ability to become a good parent has nothing to do with marital status, race, religion or sexual orientation.

    Sadly it is just a fact of life that many people have children they don't want and their offspring suffer accordingly. Unwanted children aren't found in just socially deprived areas - the product of drunken liaisons. Many middle class families have kids as that is what they think they are supposed to do, only to resent how they change their lives.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home