The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Legality

I signed my contract today. Yippee, I'm actually going to be paid for all this running around I'm doing:-) And sadly I can no longer sell all the client files off to the highest bidder:-)

I only had it because I asked though. I think the firm would have happily ignored the whole concept of a contract if I hadn't insisted. I mean, just because they are solicitors, and even have an employment law specialty partner, obviously doesn't mean they have to apply the law to their own employees!

I haven't had an induction. I haven't had a health & safety briefing. I haven't had a tour. I haven't had a risk assessment on myself, my workstation, or my job. I haven't had an employees handbook. I haven't had any emergency action plan training. I haven't been taught to use the chemicals & PPE available. I haven't had a job description. I haven't been told the 1st aid procedures. I have not been asked for any references:-) that's just off the top of my head, I' sure there are some more.

I have advised a colleague on their rights regarding flexible working patterns due to childcare commitments. I have advised a colleague on health & safety issues regarding broken chairs left under her desk. I have informed them that I am a carer - they didn't request any further information, nor did they offer any information to me (not that I need it). I have mentioned that I have previously taken employers to tribunal for not complying with the law. I have been trying very very hard to be good, & quiet & meek & the bottom of the pile. In another two weeks when I get my proper job and my proper contract I will no longer bother trying:-)

Do you think they know what they have let themselves in for?

Me neither:-)

6 Comments:

  • At Friday, October 06, 2006 12:13:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My god they have definately let the genie out of the bottle.

     
  • At Friday, October 06, 2006 3:25:00 pm, Blogger JR said…

    LOL! My, my, my, it must be solicitors everywhere who do this. I've been here over a year and a half, I have no contract, they still have not told me what number of billable hours they expect from me, I still don't a lot of the things you would expect to know when working for a firm. Yes, I asked repeatedly, sat them down for meetings, nothing ever comes of it, so I finally gave up. I think the attitude is, young associate in and out in under 3 years, so why bother. If I stay beyond that, they'll probably fill me in on a little more. :-)

     
  • At Friday, October 06, 2006 5:19:00 pm, Blogger Paste said…

    I was scared just reading it!

     
  • At Friday, October 06, 2006 9:02:00 pm, Blogger craziequeen said…

    as a H&S officer I feel I must...

    [rotflmao]

    cq

     
  • At Sunday, October 08, 2006 10:16:00 pm, Blogger Juggling Mother said…

    VV - that's amazng! no contract after a year & a half!

    but in britland, they MUST provide a contract within a month. Plus, I can't even imagine how much money those files are worth! I had a key to the strong room before I had a confidentiality contract! £millions of worth of house & land deeds! They haven't taken up any references, or even checked I live where i said I lived. I could've been anyone!

    A real case of do a s I say, not as i do:-)

     
  • At Monday, October 09, 2006 7:13:00 am, Blogger Emily said…

    They should be scared. Congrats on getting the contract and hello to a little bit more casheroonie. What happened with the school? Did you send the letter?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home