The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Moving forward

Life certainly seems to be moving forward apace here.

Despite buggering off early yesterday and therefore missing the phonecall from the practise manager I was invited to a formal interview with the partner next tuesday. except it won't be with the partner apparently, but with his wife, who is a Legal exec. But close enough:-) The partner did agree that, assuming I actually do get the job, he would pay my membership fees to ILEX, and according to the practise manager both my solicitor & colleague have said I'm OK. I'd kind of forgotten they'd be giving reports on my work - I should have been trying harder to woo them I suppose, but perhaps just getting on with the work & being me is the best bet - I'm not much good at pretending to be someone else:-)

Of course, i buggered off early today too, because the latest Dr's app't I could get for LMD was 3.20pm (well, the latest one with my Dr, and I don't see why I should even bother seeing any others after their track record). She was absolutely fine over night & this morning - showing a good few spots, but no pox's at all. But the nursery wouldn't accept my word for it that it wasn't chicken pox, so I needed to see the Dr to be told she had a "bit of a rash, nothing to worry about". Still, at least she'll be able to go back on friday no problems.

Works getting a bit manic now, as the cover solicitor works in a very different way to previous partner. The partner used to deal with the whole case from start to finish, just getting the secretaries to type up & send out the letters. Cover solicitor just personally deals with the main legal conveyancing, expecting the secreties to do all the leg work, form filling & registrations (as well as type letters etc). I don't actually see a problem with that except I'm a bit slow cos I have to learn how to do each thing, and other seceratary a) misses the old partner & the way things were, and b) hasn't done the "Top & Tailing" for so long she's mostly forgotton too, so it's a bit like the blind leading the blind there. With three completions early next week, we're working flat out to get everything done, while still not falling behind on the up & coming files! Still, I'm getting more & more certain that they are going to expect me to tale on my own caseload fairly soon after I start at weston office, so the learning curve is good for me.

I'm certainly feeling much happier now I'm back at work. I am just not cut out to be a SAHM.

college is getting more complicated now too. tonight we moved onto criminal law. i do have to take an exam in this, so there's more pressure straight away. I'd forgotton how many cases we are expected to learn - about 100, with name, date, brief facts, outcome, reasons, & court and presiding judge. I've gone off the idea a bit now;-) Criminal Law has changed SO much in the last 15 years too! i knew that the labour gov't had been consolidating all of our criminal law in theory, but seeing the changes on paper was a bit of a shock:-) it is simpler no - but still complicated enough:-)

Apparently my sister has dropped me in the proverbial by mentioning to my mum that i have a blog. I don't think I've said anything toooooo incriminating have I? Not recently anyway!

3 Comments:

  • At Thursday, October 12, 2006 12:43:00 pm, Blogger craziequeen said…

    Wow - strike two - your mum has the internet *and* knows you have a blog......
    But can she find it :-)

    I'm still on first strike with my mum, she knows I have a blog - but doesn't have the internet [phew]

    cq

     
  • At Thursday, October 12, 2006 4:05:00 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    woo-hoo - things have moved on apace for you since I last caught up with you!! I trained as a solicitor yonks ago - you're bringing back fond memories of starting out as a receptionist in a solicitor's office, learning to type, filing, taking on some legal research and so on and so forward. :-) Happy Days.

     
  • At Thursday, October 12, 2006 4:25:00 pm, Blogger JR said…

    So glad there were no pox, bodes well for your presence at work. I was climbing the walls by the end of my 5th year as a SAHM, so I'm there with you on that! Good luck with the interview.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home