The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Thursday, August 17, 2006

The Book Meme

This one is doing the rounds at the moment, with a number of my fave blogs posting it, so I thought I'd have a go....

One book that changed your life?
Hmmm, actually changed my life? That's a hard one. I'm not sure if any single book had that much influence over me, but I guess I'll go with three: The Phoenix and The Carpet by Nesbit: as my introduction to fantasy & escapism, it certainly changed the direction of my life as a young child. The Canterbury tales by Chaucer: I was introduced to Chaucer on a course when i was 17 and loved it, making me decide to take English at University. It was the wrong choice, and one that I would probably not have made if I hadn't attended that course. I'd have done Law instead, got rich & lived happily ever after;-) Finally, i suppose I should mention The discworld books by Pratchett - well the first three of them anyway, which was how I met Aggie. He had come on a first date with my flatmate, she got cold feet & asked me to gooseberry, and then Aggie & me spent the whole night chatting about books & pratchett while she looked completely lost:-)

One book that you have read more than once?
This is impossible to answer for me, I read most books more than once as I tend to speed read/skim through the first reading, then if it looks good, I'll go for a proper second reading immediately afterwards.

One book you would want on a desert island?
A very big one;-) If it was for a specified period of time (ie: I'll be marooned for one year, then guarenteed to be brought home again) I'd say the bible, cos it's the only way I'd actually sit and read & learn the whole thing - which can be useful. If we are talking about being indefinitely marooned, I think i'll go with something a bit more interesting - maybe the complete works of Shakespeare. Or Chaucer. Hmmm, or Plutarch - do you think i could teach myself to translate them? That would open up a whole new range of fascinating books to get lost with:-)

One book that made you laugh?
Good laughs or bad laughs? I have to say Pratchet here. I find him laugh out loud funny in nearly all of his books. Although the bible is quite good for a giggle every now and then too.

One book that made you cry?
None. I have never cried at a book. It's just a book, it's not real life people! My mother never forgave me for not crying when ginger died in black beauty (apparently she was unconsolable for days!). Not only did I not cry when Ginger was sent to the Knackers yard, i didn't even realise it was supposed to be sad until she asked me if I cried! I do remember a few books that made me sad in an intellectual type of way. Does that count?

One book you wish had been written?
A contemporary account of pre-Roman British life. I'd love to have some real knowledge of what it was like, who the druids really were, and what kind of society the Romans destroyed.

One book you wish had never been written?
Well, obviously the bible, cos I think the whole concept of monotheism has been bad for humanity.

One book you are currently reading?
The Perfect King by Ian Mortimer, a biography of Edward III. Also Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell by Susan clarke, and re-reading the Otherland series by Tad Williams.

One book you have been meaning to read?
Oh, I can't rememeber! I'm terrible at planning my reading - I just grab whatever comes to hand. I do check in the bookshop regularly for what new books are out, but I never remember them by the time I get home! I would like to read soem of the famous intellectual books, such as The Blind Watchmaker or A Short(er) History of Time

3 Comments:

  • At Thursday, August 17, 2006 1:15:00 pm, Blogger CyberKitten said…

    Interesting list - as I thought it would be.

    I did laugh at your assertion that no book had changed your life.. then went on to say that a book got you into fantasy reading.. decided on your degree course & led you to meet & marry your husband... Yup. No real changes there... [rotflmao].

    I enjoyed 'Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell' though thought it was neddlessly over long. She got a lot of her magical 'facts' about right though - at least it had the right 'feel' of magic for me...

    Never been a fan of Pratchett though....

     
  • At Thursday, August 17, 2006 1:24:00 pm, Blogger Juggling Mother said…

    Oh OK *blush*! It wasn't quite that cut and dried in reality:-)

     
  • At Friday, August 18, 2006 9:35:00 am, Blogger Paste said…

    Hi Mrs A, I think that this is my first visit here from Michele's!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home