The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Friday, October 28, 2005

Jobs are like buses

You don't see any for ages, then three come along at once!

As you may have gathered, I am not particularly enamoured with my employers, however, the job is generally convenient, so I'm loathe to jump ship & end up in a worse situation. Therefore, for the past six months or so I have been reading all the professional magazines, joining associations, scouring websites & chatting up contacts in the vain hope something well-paid, local & flexi-houred will turn up.

Nothing, nada, zilch. a couple of possibles that fulfilled one or two criteria. One job that I applied for, got interviewed for & lost on the spurious grounds that I didn't have the faintest idea of the role of the profession I would be joining if I had got it.

Then suddenly, three turn up at once. One was sent to me by those nice contacts I've been cultivating, so that was worthwhile, and one i found online. The other was a chance reading of the Guardian paper at my mothers (I am far too stingy to buy newspapers when I can get them free online, plus it doesn't kill so many trees, or make me cross that the re-cyclers haven't collected my stuff AGAIN).

I've got an interview on Wednesday for a job that I am experienced & qualified in, but is in Bath, which is a fair commute. However, it is ONLY in Bath, no more traipsing around the countryside. Plus it's back in local government, so I can get back on track with my pension again (I'm looking forward to a wealthy retirement - I'm not having a wealthy working life)

I've got an interview on Thurday for a job that is basically the same as I'm doing now, but the next stage up, full time & more money. Convenient. Lets hope they are better employers, cos I would really like this one.

I've got an application for a job I really fancy doing, as it is what I am interested in & would actually stretch my brain occasionally. It's what I do in my own company, so I've got the experience. it's got to be finished in time to post on Monday.

Both interviews need powerpoint pressentations made up on complicated subjects. I am off to Warwick tomorrow to buy re-enacting kit, then straight down to London to do some more work on sunday, then take the kids to my sisters halloween party. I doubt we'll be back before midnight on Sunday. I have no idea when I'm going to get everything done!

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home