The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Monday, October 24, 2005

This weaning thing

It's raining in our house today, due to a lack of roof! Go see Aginoths blog for more details, I just can't be bothered to write about it all.

Anyway, that's not whats bothering me today. What's bothering me is this whole weaning lark. I know I've been through it twice before, but it just doesn't work with my kids. LMD is coming up to 9 months old now. I'm absolutely definite that I will not feed her past one year (I don't believe it's good for me, her, or anyone else we know). However, it doesn't seem to be working very well - she still likes to feed every 3 hours or so - although she usually manags to stretch to 6 hours at night.

it's not as though she doesn't take solids - she does. All types, with great enjoyment. She can happily stuff half a chicken breast, a whole potato & 5 or 6 broccoli florets for supper, but she still wants a full feed from me too. I have failed miserably at weaning her off even one feed a day. and as she wont take milk from a cup/bottle I can't even fob her off with something different.

With Mstr A I was very organised about everything, and as he had such a strong routine & happily took bottles (from anyone except me), I carefully cut out one feed a month, from 6 - 12 months old. But a) each one was really hard to take away, upsetting him & me, and b) I didn't really have to do much, as he was in full time child care.

With LMB, she just refused solids till about 9 months anyway, and then quickly grew loads of teeth & ate loads of family meals, filling herself up. although she always liked to finish it off with a feed, she wasn't too bothered if I didn't offer it.

LMD knows exactly what she wants & alternates screaming & clingy whinging until she gets it, irrelevant of how much real food shes eaten already. I just can't face the noise when I try to remove or even postpone a feed. Most people I meet say something like "oh, are you STILL feeding her? My angel weaned herself when she was x months old". Weaned herself!? What does that mean? How does that work? Do they just turn their nose up when you offer the breast? Cos I'm telling you That aint never going to happen with mine. Do you just say, here's your real food now, you won't be needing all that milk stuff anymore? Cos that's just patently untrue. Alternatively I meet with the other lot. You know, the ones that tell me little cutie breast-fed till he was 6 and a half, and what a well adjusted, secure & healthy lad he's turned into because of it. yeah right. That is not an option.

there must be a way to do this without the screaming - I just don't know what it is, & time is running out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home