The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Gonna have to face it.....

A new school term & a new school year starts tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to returning to normality, although September is a busy month for me work-wise. Just in case I feel bored though, I've applied to do a college course one day a week. I need to pass an interview, as it's for a law course (I studied Law aged 16-18, and was badly advised not to take it any further, so would like to pick it up again, even if it's just for fun), so here's hoping.

As it's a time for new starts, I have also decided that it's time I gave up my secret addiction. I'm going cold turkey as from when I go to bed tonight so, look forward to some grouchy posts in the near future. I have done this before, but marrying Mr A , who quite enjoys partaking of this pernicious substance, started me off again, and it's slowly built up over the years.

What terrible addiction do I have, you may ask? well before I enlighten you, let me describe the symptoms: I want this substance at all times of the day, every day. If I do not have it one day, I will look round the house, opening cupboards & drawers in case some has hidden away there un-noticed. I will make special trips to the shops to buy it. If the real item is not available, I have been known to make do with sub-standard substitutes. I find it difficult to walk past a shop selling this item without going in, and impossible to buy something different in the shop, without also purchasing some of this substance too. I know that it is damaging my health, yet continue to give in regularly. I make excuses for when it's OK, and doesn't really count. Generally, all the signs of addiction.

Now, if this substance were tobacco, I would have help thrown at me (and as I live in the UK, with the NHS, it would all be free). I could have individual or group councelling, nicotine patches, gum or tablets. Anti-depressives and drugs to combat the withdrawal syptoms.

If it were alcohol, I would again be offered councelling, individually tailored programs, and drugs.

If it were heroin or other illegal drugs I would be offered a residential de-tox programme & lifelong support.

Unfortunately, I can only look forward to laughter and a number of deliberate attempts to de-rail my wagon, as the substance I am talking about is chocolate.

See, I told you there would be laughter. But really, it's not a laughing matter. All of the paragraph above regarding addiction is completely true, yet I know that within a week I will have had at least a couple of people tell me "one wont hurt", "go on, it's a party", or "but it's low calorie, it's ok". If you said those things to an alcoholic, it would be considered unacceptable, but despite the scientific evidence of the addictive qualities of chocolate, and of the ill-health effects of over-indulging (it is actually a poison you know), society does not see it in the same light.

Ho Hum. I'll just have to grin & bear it. As I said, I've done it before. I shall just repeat my mantra to myself: I don't like chocolate, I don't like chocolate, I don't like chocolate, I don't...........

11 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home