The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Friday, August 26, 2005

Little Miss Deathwish

It's official, Little Miss Dark has a definite deathwish. Not content with learning to locomote (it's not exactly crawling, but certainly moves her around quick enough) before she was 6 months old, she is now determinedly exploring every nook, cranny, ledge, etc she can find. And there are a lot to be found!

I took Mstr A to his swimming lesson last night, at our local pool which has viewing from the poolside. I sat on the fixed bench, which is raised on a 10cm plinth. LM Dark refused to sit on my lap, so I put her on the floor, with toys to play with. But that was not good enough for her, oh no, she soon worked out how to crawl up onto the plinth, ducking her head under the bench seat. Much to everyone's surprise, she went right through to the other side, happily negotiating the step down. This meant when I glanced down to check on her, she was half way to the main pool, and very stroppy when I made her turn round & come back to safety!

This morning I was not in the most observant mood, having been up three times in the night to feed her, so I plonked her on the floor at 6.30am, curled up on the sofa cuddling LM Blond & dozed off. Fortunately LM Blond is a busy-body, cos I was woken after a few mins by a loud shout of "no baby, naughty baby". Naturally I leaped off the sofa, heart racing to discover that LM Dark had learned how to pull herself up to standing and was proceeding to climb the stairs, each one being chest high on her!

Add to that her penchant for crawling under the desk while I'm working, under the mechanism of our recliner chairs while we watch TV, behind the other kids while they are playing,and eating everything she can lay her hand on (not just puuting it in her mouth, she actually has to eat it), and you'll see why I'm feeling a little unsure of her continued survival.

of course, I realise that if I tidied up more regularly there wouldn't be so much on the floor to eat, and if I watched her properly she wouldn't be crawling off into strange places, but then again, I never claimed to be any good at this paernting lark.

2 Comments:

  • At Friday, August 26, 2005 5:00:00 pm, Blogger Aginoth said…

    I'm sure we used to have a dining table....

    Oh hang on that'll be where all my computer bits are to stop them being eaten by the sproglings.

     
  • At Friday, August 26, 2005 8:51:00 pm, Blogger craziequeen said…

    Time to purchase waterwings for LMDA, I feel.......

    oh - and bubblewrap..... :-)

    I've always hated 'crawler/toddler' time, specially as a childminder/nanny - as I was acutely aware that the little deathwish (sorry, darling) belonged to someone else :-(

     

Post a Comment

<< Home