The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Working Hard

Whew! What a day.

As mentioned in my previous post, we spent the day in Torbay, as I was working there this morning. These trips usually involve myself, LM Dark, sometimes LM Blond & Nanny (Mother-in-Law, Thank God she is available to be dragged around the countryside baby-sitting as niether female Aginoths have accepted bottled milk). However, today we also included Mstr A as it's still the school holidays.

So I packed all children, bags, work stuff into the car at 9.45am, having explained that we have to have left by 10am to get to my meeting on time. At 10.05am Nanny arrives full of apologies & excuses. Finally leave at 10.10. Realise we have to refuel the car, so queue at the local supermarket for 10 mins as we live in a holiday town, and it's the summer holidays! By the time we get on to the motorway, I'm a half hour behind schedule. Add in the fact that traffic into Torbay (always bad) is horrendous, and I don't start my meeting till midday.

Never mind, I skim through everything really quickly while the kids play around us (it is a childrens sporting venue with plenty to play with), then shoot off to grap some lunch and finally make it to the zoo at 2pm.

The prices have gone up since April, as it's now the summer season! The big cats were all hiding as it's mid-afternoon & they've all been fed. Mstr A is complaining that he's tired. LM Dark is refusing to go in the pram, & insisting on being carried by me. Apart from that, the zoo was good. We especially liked the apes & monkeys, the elephants and the water-vole! LM Dark liked the butterflies, but we can see them in the garden at home! LM Blond thought the water-falls were the best things there, but liked the elephant making "bubbles!" in his pond too.

It's a big place, & we didn't see it all, but even so, it was gone 7pm by the time we all got home, and all children had to be put to bed, against their will. Finally I get to sit down at 8pm, to find out that Mr A, who's been off all day cos he's sick, has gone cold turkey from his addiction to caffeine & is not his usual happy, energetic self - and as he's usually a stroppy, lazy so & so, that's saying something.

Looking forward to tomorrow. It's LM Blond's birthday (2 at last), which will be fun, but more importantly I'm off work, Mr A is at work (I hope) LM Blond is at pre-school & I can have some quiet time!

4 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, August 30, 2005 10:20:00 pm, Blogger garroo said…

    You're a hedonist Mrs A. Simple as that.

     
  • At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 3:16:00 pm, Blogger Liz said…

    Happy birthday to the litle one. My little boy was 2 in June, I cant belive its gone so fast. Hope you and all have a good time and get a chance to put your feet up!

     
  • At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 5:02:00 pm, Blogger stc said…

    Ah, the life of a parent:

    LM Dark liked the butterflies, but we can see them in the garden at home!

    All that effort on your part, and she picks butterflies as her favourite zoo exhibit.

    On the other hand, the elephants making bubbles … I bet there are no elephants in the bathtub at home!
    Q

     
  • At Wednesday, August 31, 2005 9:54:00 pm, Blogger Juggling Mother said…

    Mike - Mmm, not sure that hedonist is quite the right description...

    Mary P - Young? Sometimes I feel ancient. I haven't quite decided if you're better off having your kids early whenyou have lots of energy, but no patience, or late when its vice versa, but I do know I did it wrong by chosing (well, I didn't actually chose it...) the middle road & having no energy or patience:-)

    Liz - thanks

    Q - I don't know why I spend money on stuff. Boxes are better than toys, butterflies better than lions & garden walls better than playgrounds! However, I still spend the money regualrly in the false belief it makes me a good parent! The occasional bubble blowing elephant makes it all worth while.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home