The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Monday, August 22, 2005

The couch potato generation?

As it's my first day back at work after a week off, I actually have to do some admin catching up today . I usually do most of my admin after 7pm, with phone calls squeezed into nap time (ha ha, like that ever happens). lunch time (stuff enough food in their mouths and even my lot will shut up for a few seconds) or while in the car (I have a hands free, but mostly call people half way through a journey, when the little darlings are sleeping - what did parents do before cars?).

However, I awoke this morning (at 6.15am - a lie in), to the sound of rain, 26 emails, and 11 answerphone messages. So I thought I need to keep the little darlings amused, quiet & safe while I catch up - no problem, we all know what couch potatoes this generation is, so I started by turning on one of the numerous pre-school TV channels.

Now the kids do like these, and stood and watched it for about two minutes before a fight broke out over who stood in exactly the best spot (we have a 44" TV, you'd think they would both be able to see it easily). Naturally, just as the fight got physical, the baby decided to start eating the computer leads, and screamed when I took them away.

Half an hour later all was calm again. TV was off, but not to be deterred I agree that Mstr A can play Mario races on daddies nintendo (considered a special treat cos I can't do it), LM blond A can play "doggie" on her computer (Knowledge Adventure Toddlers Cd - wonderful programme), while I feed the baby, type, help LM blond & make a few phone calls.

I manage to sit at the computer, settle baby, read emails, then mstr A runs in shouting about how he came 4th. I answer an email, help LM blond with her mouse skills, hear how mstr A came 3rd! Pick up phone, hear how mstr A is on the beach, dial number, put phone down before it connects to take LM blond to the potty, pick up phone, hear how mstr A shot someone ("good", I mumble, hoping he is talking about the game.....), dial number, disconnect, restart LM blonds computer cos she likes to press buttons & has turned it off, pick up phone.......... Well you can see the problem. Maybe I'll try again later.

Off to change babies nappy now. It's great working from home.

3 Comments:

  • At Monday, August 22, 2005 10:09:00 am, Blogger Aginoth said…

    Makes me glad to be at work...OK maybe not...much ratheer be at home

     
  • At Monday, August 22, 2005 1:03:00 pm, Blogger Liz said…

    Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! I've been doing it for a while now. I find it helps me to unwind after a particularly stressful day (newborn + Toddler = highly stressful days lol!) hope you enjoy your blooging, looking forward to reading more!

     
  • At Monday, August 22, 2005 1:27:00 pm, Blogger craziequeen said…

    Ah the joys of childcare! I still find it amazing that some men do not accept that women multi-task better than men!

    I can remember cooking with baby (in frog plaster) on hip, toddler (3) playing around my feet and begging me to fix his truck/car/railway track/sundry toys and 5 and 7 year old girls being nagged by me to do their homework....but preferring to fire 20 questions at me about dinner..

    I did that at 17 - but the Aginoth tribe do let me exercise my skills now and then in my advanced years :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home