The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Saturday, May 12, 2007

"Nil Points"

It's Eurovision time again. A great British tradition celebrated around the country the way we will be doing tonight - with plenty of alcohol, good friends, Sir Terry Wogan's bemused commentary, and a whole load of laughs. The Brits see Eurovision raher like a Gay Pride march. Colourful, fun, and totally camp.

Unfortunately, the rest of Europe doesn't seem to share our views.

Well, the Germas seem to think it's a good excuse to be as outlandish as possible - which is always fun. Most of western Eurpoe sees it as a song competition, and take it deathoy seriously. And Eastern Europe seems to think it's a political statement of some kind.

As most of the contest is stacked with old Eastern Bloc countries now, I confidently expect to do atrociously with our spectacularly camp novelty song by total unknowns.



But as we bankroll the whole thing we get a free pass into next years competitonanyway, so it will continue to be an annual tradition.

Plus, I bet we'll have far more fun watching our lot lose, that many other countries peoples will have watching their people do well:-)

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

  • At Saturday, May 12, 2007 3:05:00 pm, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said…

    Iknow Eurovision well. Certain countries will always give the other maximum points. Other countries will not give Britain any points.

    Michele sent me here.

     
  • At Saturday, May 12, 2007 3:14:00 pm, Blogger David Edward said…

    i know nothing of it, but enjoyed the video. God save the queen!

     
  • At Saturday, May 12, 2007 5:43:00 pm, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said…

    This is the first I have heard of this Fun Happening---from CQ really...It sounds like Great Fun! Just how bad is it? (lol) I hope you can post a sample of an actual "contestant"....! Hope you have a wonderful time....!

     
  • At Sunday, May 13, 2007 7:36:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "...bop-bada, bop-bada.."

    Errr, catchy tune. [chuckle] Any tradition that involves alcohol and friends has got to be fun. :)

    By the way, though I do realize that your equivalent to the U.S. 'Mother's Day' holiday (Mothering Day) has passed (March 18); I'd still like to wish you a "Happy Mother's Day!" The world needs more mums like you. :) (...and me too, of course) [heh]

    Sorry I haven't been around in awhile. I've just been in a kind of hermit mood lately. Overwhelmed with life, I think. I need a loooooong vacation.

     
  • At Sunday, May 13, 2007 9:14:00 pm, Blogger Emily said…

    I said our performance was on a par with Aldi while all the others were Waitrose.

    Russia was my fave with the crazy Ukrainians next.

     
  • At Sunday, May 13, 2007 10:48:00 pm, Blogger craziequeen said…

    Wasn't it excruciating?? The UK entry was cringeworthy....
    I had my money on Russia or Serbia - really pleased Serbia won!

    Sorry em, HATED Ukraine...... :-)

    Sorry I didn't make it over last night, but I just had too much sewing to do...done it all now - including making good the crappy neckline.

    cq

     
  • At Monday, May 14, 2007 12:01:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi!
    I just wanted to say good luck with the exams tomorrow.

     
  • At Monday, May 14, 2007 4:05:00 pm, Blogger CyberKitten said…

    Never watched it........ [shudder].

    I know it's all very silly... but it's worse that watching X-Factor!

     
  • At Monday, May 14, 2007 9:00:00 pm, Blogger craziequeen said…

    Just popped by to say.....

    GOOD LUCK!!

    in your exams, my darling Mrs A.

    [hugs]

    cq

     

Post a Comment

<< Home