The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Some random thoughts

umm, as the title suggests, heres some comments on what has passed through my brain today....

It was LMD's carol concert today at nursery. She had to dress up as something from the nativity or something "Chrismassy" so I sent her in a little santa dress & hat, which drew many "ahh's" from staff and parents alike. However, when we turned up at 11am to watch the singing half the kids were in tears, LMD jumped onto my lap the moment she saw me & refused to move throughout the concert. Only one child made any effort to sing along, and she didn't manage more than a few words. You do wonder about the need to have a carol concert for under threes!

I officially signed on with the DWP today, for the first time in a decade or so. I have to say, it has improved vastly in that time, but JSA is still the only benefit they make you feel guilty for claiming, and defintely the only one where they do not give ANY help at all. Not in what you can claim, how to claim it, what else is available etc. Considering less than 2% of the population claim JSA, and only a tiny proportion of them stay on it for 6 months or more, you'd think they could be a little more helpful! still, i've signed up for whatever Job clubs are called now, which means i get all my phone calls, stamps etc free, which will be helpful. And they have accepted that my hours are limited due to care commitments, which is a big step forwards!

I see Hamley's have seriously screwed up. I think they should honour the sales - it's their own fault for not paying to set up their website properly (online voucher codes are hardly a new thing - even I Blogged about them a while back), and they could cover the loss! Lets be honest, 60% off Hamley's prices would barely bring the stuff down to normal store sale prices anyway!

Still, apparently I am actually Pure Evil:


How evil are you?
How cool is that?

well it made me smile anyway. So there!

We watched The Hogfather on TV over the last couple of nights. At last, a good adaptation of Pratchets books. Lets hope there'll be many more. I vote for Guards! Guards! next.

You'd think from watching the BBC over the past 48 hours that the world had come to a stop. Oh my, it's foggy and some aeroplanes have not taken off from Heathrow. Can a worse calamity have happened? At christmas time too! There was some miserable bugger being interviewed ad nuseum on the TV this morning. Paraphrased he said, "I flew in from Miami yesterday (Wow, way to get the symapthy vote man) en route to Glasgow. The flight was cancelled and it's cost me £100 for a train ticket instead, which will make me four hours late" When asked why they wouldn't compensate him, he said, because the airline had laid on coaches, but he doesn't like coach travel, so he chose to buy a rail ticket instead. To me, it sounds like the airline has been perfectly reasonable. Fog is something that no one can control - not even at Christmas time! And rail travel is better for all domestic journeys anyay!

Fortunately Stanstead has not been affected, so my mother should still make it to Ireland tomorrow. Otherwise i was half expecting her to turn up here!

5 Comments:

  • At Friday, December 22, 2006 10:59:00 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    Sam Raimi directing a movie version of Wee Free Men is on the cards - which I for one am excited about.

     
  • At Friday, December 22, 2006 11:38:00 am, Blogger craziequeen said…

    I have recorded Hogfather - saving it for Christmas - glad to hear it's good! :-)

    meanwhile

    [prays for clear skies over Stanstead]

    cq

     
  • At Friday, December 22, 2006 5:48:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just popped by to wish a 'Happy Christmas' to you and your family. May 2007 be a good year for you.

     
  • At Monday, January 01, 2007 1:12:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fun evilness test, but it shows I'm only twisted! JM, if you are pure evil then the world could sure use a lot more evil in it. Hope you had a good Christmas and I wish you a good new year.

     
  • At Monday, January 01, 2007 1:19:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    P.S. If you'd like to visit my blog, I've sent an invitation to the e-mail address in your profile. You will need to create a google account, if you do not have one already. Sorry for the inconvenience. Don't worry - I won't be offended if you don't visit. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home