The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Friday, September 15, 2006

The miracle cure

Not that I recommend it to anyone, but I completely forgot how awful i felt yesterday (well, actually I didn't forget, cos it still hurt to remind me, but I did ignore it) when LMB went down with a bug.

She was fine when we started eating at about 5.30pm. But she didn't finish all her spag bol (her favourite), and at 6pm said she was tired and wanted to go to bed. As her normal bedtime is 6.30, I assumed it was just the excitement of school catching up on her & agreed. We used it as an excuse to get the other two off to bed early and were just sitting down to relax in front of the Tv at 7p when she starts crying.

I went up to her & she said she felt sick so i gave her a cuddle - she was burning up! Like really really hot. We took her temp and it was over 40'. She refused to drink anything and has always been intolerant to paracetemol, so there wasn't much we could do. I opted for TLC (cuddles) and she soon drifted back to sleep. But it wasn't very relaxed sleep, and she was awake again less than 30 mins later. We took her temp again and it had gone up to 40.7'. As 41' is officially a hospital job, We called the Dr.

Aggie started to get a bit stressed about meningitus, even though I said she didn't show any of the meningitus specific symptoms (although of course the problem with menigicochal menigitus is that the symptoms are not particularly specific until it is lready well advanced), and the dr didn't help by telling him to take her straight off to the GP surgery at the hospital.

The GP surgery is a great invention. I know we have one here because of the chronic shortage of GP's, and the large number of migrant people (holiday makers mostly), but I reckon everywhere should have one. It's so much more sensible to take the patients to the dr's out of hours, than to make the dr drive around town doing house calls! Anyway, I packed her into the car & drove down to the hospital. They were expecting her, & had all her notes already - even though it was less tha 10 mins since we'd first called our surgery. There were two other people there when we arrived - both young children with fever & vomiting. A third arrived shorty arfter us.

When we went in the Dr asked if she'd vomited - I said no, although she was complaining of feeling sick. He took her temp, agreed she was hot, had a quick look over her & told me she had a fever:-) I agreed, and explained that I knew what to do, but she wasn't very co-operative, being unable to take paracetemol & refusing to drink anything. Oh well, it's going to be a tough night for you then, was his reply;-) LMB with impeccable timing chose this moment to throw up. A lot! Everywhere! All over me, all over him, all over herself, all over the surgery floor, all over the bed. "I expect that will the first of many" said the Dr gloomily.

I brought her home wrapped in a blanket (unfortunately I didn't have the option of stripping off my own clothes), bathed her & put her back to bed. After the fifth time of going in to her, I brought her into our bed & put up with having a little ball of fire snuggled up next to me. I don't think we got through more than about 30 mins sleep at a time the whole night. Plus Mstr A was up complianing he didn't feel well at about 4am! Fortunately he went back to bed after a drink, and seems fine this morning.

LMB is still running a temp, but it is below 40', and she is more lucid this morning too. She's even eaten a couple of spoonfuls of breakfast. Me & Aggie are walking zombies:-(

And I expect I've got the others to look forward too, as bugs rarely stay with one person. In fact, Aggie reckons he's going down with it already:-(

4 Comments:

  • At Friday, September 15, 2006 9:02:00 am, Blogger Emily said…

    poor little thing. Sorry to hear she hasn't been well. Fevers are scary, especially when they start convulsing. I am glad you were able to see a doc quick who put your mind at ease.

    Sorry about your lack of sleep too. It hit so hard when you are used to reclaiming the sleep back!

    And nothing worse than a whole family coming down with the same bug. In Molly's first year she picked up three vomiting bugs from nursery. They were so violent the staff had it, the parents had it and ALL the kids had it. It lasted 24 hours and went through up all like a tornado. Yuk.

    Hope you are all better soon.

    PS My doc advised flat lemonade for sickness dehydration. Kids seem to like that!

     
  • At Friday, September 15, 2006 3:53:00 pm, Blogger JR said…

    Ugh! Sick kids are the worst! Grab snippets of sleep wherever you can. I'll send positive, healthy vibes your way and hope LMB bounces back quickly.

     
  • At Friday, September 15, 2006 6:21:00 pm, Blogger Paste said…

    'The good husbands guide to a happy marriage!' by Mrs A, to be hitting bookstands near you any day now. I'll be first in the queue.

     
  • At Saturday, September 16, 2006 10:32:00 am, Blogger craziequeen said…

    It wasn't me - honest.....I don't think....

    Although Aginoth was quick to blame me....

    cq

     

Post a Comment

<< Home