The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Blogging & Dogging

Apparently more people know what dogging is than blogging. This is the big technology news story in the Uk at the moment according to the BBC. (although I'm not sure what dogging has to do with technology?)

Now, this was based on a panel of Cabbies, Pub Landlords and Hairdressers, who dont, IMHO, really represent the whole of the UK population. Also, I obviously spend far too much time at home in front of my computer, as I can happily explain the terms Blog, Podcast, and happy slapping, but had to check the definitions at the end of the article to find out what dogging was!

As a typical UK citizen (well I am of average age, average wage bracket, average size, larger than average family), nobody asked me, but I know about blogs - ok I have one, so maybe that doesn't count. I know about Podcasting & I neither have nor want an IPod. I do not consider myself very technological, or particularly geeky, but once the internet started being fast enough to be worth the effort, I started using it. I'm sure there are many people out there just like me, but they are probably not hairdressers, pub landlords or cabbies - hardly the careers chosen by the most intellectual of people (nothing against them, but they are not jobs that require enjoyment of reading/writing - which is kind of vital for using the web in any way.)

Having just read Q's post on media bias, it makes me wonder what was the point of this research/report? Is it just to make all the BBC internet readers feel superior to their TV watching counterparts? (the story was not reported on the TV news).

5 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, October 11, 2005 9:11:00 pm, Blogger craziequeen said…

    Stumbled across a couple of what I presumed were teen blogs - why are we not teaching our children to read and write? Awful examples of wasted schooling.....

     
  • At Tuesday, October 11, 2005 9:33:00 pm, Blogger Juggling Mother said…

    Mary P, CQ - I've read a number of the teenage blogs (and some grown up ones just as bad), but those that continue with it will still be using their literacy skills, even if in txt (sic) form!

    Spindleshanks - there's a definition at the bottom of the article, but basically it's having sex in a public place, with the piblic watching (and commenting I believe)! Apparently all the rage with some celebs - I don't give a **** what celebs are doing so I wouldn't know who I'm afraid.

     
  • At Tuesday, October 11, 2005 9:59:00 pm, Blogger Aginoth said…

    had the misfortune to stumble across a Spanish Nazi Blog this evening....not nice, flagged it as offensive to Blogger

     
  • At Wednesday, October 12, 2005 1:16:00 pm, Blogger Kate B. said…

    To be honest I'm not that surprised. We Brits have to thank that bloke from Eastenders and the *delightful* Stan Collymore for the rise of dogging in the public consciousness.

    You've got to remember that we Brits are a nation of either closet or repressed sexual deviants, so instead of doing it we like reading about it instead.

    I know a lot more bloggers than I do doggers, but then again, I'm not a Daily Mail or News of the World reader, so go figure.

     
  • At Thursday, October 13, 2005 9:06:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    my god now i know im old.(mind you It would have got big nan all excited.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home