The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Friday, September 30, 2005

I think we're alone now...

Well today has been a laugh and a half, and it hasn’t even been the kids fault this time.

Friday is college day, so after dragging Mstr A (can I run? Jump in the puddles? Meet you at the end of the road?......), LMB (I’m going to refuse to walk anywhere now), LMD (it’s ok as long as we don’t stop moving), my bike, my college bag, LMB’s Dora bag, Mstr A’s school bag & water bottle, LMD’s bag, food & milk and half the contents of my house, off to school, then to pre-school (feed the baby, settle LMB down, walk away to sounds of LMD screaming in anger), I jump on my bike & cycle to college.

It’s only a mile or so (although I think it was longer today than last week!), then a nice relax in class.
“you’re very perky for a Friday morning” comments one of my class-mates, so I gently explain to her that this is down time for me. I see the look of disbelief spreading across her face & give up trying to explain.

I had a great lesson. The debating style of the sessions suits me perfectly, as I’m always happy to spout off my “if I ruled the world” scenarios & opinions (I must blog about those sometime). Then just before my lunch break, my mobile goes off. Oops, I quickly cancel the call & switch it silent. It immediately rattles itself off the table with another call. I put it back in my bag.

Beep Beep

It’s a text message “call me, urgent”.

Slightly worried, I excuse myself & call Mr A at work, only to be told Bristol hospital has just informed him there’s a bed available, but he must be there by 3.30 today or it will be given to someone else.

Now, Mr A has severe Psoriasis which has not responded to home treatment for years. So when we saw the dermatologist on Monday, we agreed that a in=patient stay was necessary now. The Dr assured us that there was no telling when a bed might become available, but there’s a fair number of people waiting, so “it won’t be tomorrow or anything”. The treatment will be over three weeks (probably), so we said November would be better for us, to give us some time to clear our diaries etc. So this phone call was a bit unexpected, but you can’t refuse a bed when it’s offered – there’s no telling when they may decide to give you another chance;-)

This gave Mr A exactly 3 ½ hours to clear three weeks worth of work from his diary, speak to his boss, Drive home from work, pack his stuff, collect me & all the kids so we can drive him back into Bristol to claim his bed. I leave college in the middle of explaining why heroine & alcohol are treated the same in my utopian world, & collect many children, Mr A & make it the hospital at 4pm.

Fortunately, they hadn’t given his bed away, and we settled him into a nice side room with his own tv & air con! By the time we’d all trecked back to the car it was 5.30, so I mistakenly went home via the M5, thinking I’d stop at the services for something to eat. Bad move! Note to self, never try to leave Bristol at 5.30pm on a Friday, & drive south.

We slowly crawled along, & finally made it home at 8pm. Kids to bed (well, not LMD yet), and a quiet evening in alone (I hope). Balls to work – they haven’t paid me my expences AGAIN, so I think I’ll go on strike.

8 Comments:

  • At Friday, September 30, 2005 9:26:00 pm, Blogger craziequeen said…

    Oodles of love and stuff to the Aginoth Clan.

    It came as a surprise to us in work as well!

    Call if you need anything, Mrs A. I'm planning to nip in and see Aggie as well.

    CQ

     
  • At Friday, September 30, 2005 9:38:00 pm, Blogger Juggling Mother said…

    Thanks CQ. I know he'd appreciate a visit from you (and anyone else to be honest), especially as I won't be able to get in to see him in the evenings very often.

    Ward 21, the old hospital (opposite the dental hospital)

     
  • At Friday, September 30, 2005 10:28:00 pm, Blogger craziequeen said…

    Evenings is it - I'll try and bring along some Crazies, and try and find something to help entertain the old boy :-)

    And if you need help with the kids - just scream :-)

    CQ

     
  • At Sunday, October 02, 2005 9:30:00 am, Blogger craziequeen said…

    I was surprised when my mum told me this story.

    When I was a toddler, we had open fires etc. Being a poverty-stricken busy mum of four she was scared I would fall into the fire, so she tied one end of a piece of rope around my waist and one end around the sofa leg, making sure the rope was short enough to stop a few feet from the fire.

    Not cruel, just practical. Both she and I are now firm believers in playpens :-)

     
  • At Sunday, October 02, 2005 11:11:00 am, Blogger Juggling Mother said…

    Mary - thanks for that - it made me laugh which is by far the best thing to do! I'm happy to shut her in her room while I'm awake, but just can't manage it while I'm asleep - it's probably irrational, but I would literally stay awake all night if I kept her door shut!

    CQ when Mstr A was first born, his great grandmother (who was fantastic & a great help) complained that she'd looked everywhere for cot ties, and couldn't find them, did we know where she could buy some? on further questioning, we discovered that cot ties were straps used to tie babies into their cot - rather like the straps used in mental institutions years ago! She never understood why they were no longer available, repeatedly telling me how useful they were:-)

     
  • At Sunday, October 02, 2005 11:36:00 am, Blogger Juggling Mother said…

    Oh yes, in answer to your question Mary, he'll be very uncomfortable. As far as I can work out basically they paint him in acid, wrap him head to toe in badanges & wait till the excess skin burns off. When it starts really hurting, they've reached normal skin! as his Psoriasis is lots (and lots) of little spots, the painting part is not always that accurate, so bits of normal skin get burned all the time.

    it also turns him (and any clothes he wears) purple:-)

     
  • At Sunday, October 02, 2005 11:37:00 am, Blogger craziequeen said…

    I remember pram harnesses - excellent invention for children old enough to hang out of the side of a pram. The best ones were the ones that doubled as walking reins (always something I have approved of).

    Not needed in these days of buggies with integral snaplock seatbelts - and the new fad of the elasticated wrist harness.

    What I don't understand is why was a body harness with reins so much more distasteful than having your child on a leash?

    CQ

     
  • At Sunday, October 02, 2005 11:46:00 am, Blogger Juggling Mother said…

    We did buy the body harness type reins for mstr A when he was toddling - it didn't really work out. when he was still toddling, they were way too big for him, and a painful way of catching him when he fell - it was easier just to hold his hand & walk crouched down! When he was bigger it was equally as useless at keeping him close to me - a child trying to run away can rip reins right out of your hand & take the skin with them, again, it was better to hold hands & teach him road safety very young!

    We didn't bother for LMB, and won't for LMD.

    As far as I can see the wrist things are a great way of garotting other kids, causing multiple pile-ups in shopping centres, and seriously damaging your childs wrists (no pressure should ever be put around childrens joints - basic knowledge to anyone aware of child physiology).

    although I always wanted one of those extending dog leash things for the kids - I sit on the bench & let them run around the p[ark, then reel em in when it's time to go home:-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home