The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

spam, spam, spam, spam, beans, spam, and spam - hold the beans

I've been keeping a real good check on my spam folder - I'm petrified I might miss the real "you're a winner" email again, and they won't bother to phone me this time:)

Can anyone tell me, why I might possibly want to buy so many watches? replica or otherwise - what is it about watches that makes them such a good spamming mail?

Obviously, there are plenty for drugs I don't want too, but I guess I kind of expect those..... but why, and, lets be honest, how, is anyone going to make my penis bigger/longer/harder? Haven't these people heard of targeted marketing? My email address is my name. My name is definitely female - in any language it can be said in as far as I am aware.

Also what is the point of spamming a co.uk address with languages written in different alphabets? I mean, I don't get french or spanish spam, so why so much russian and korean(?). Even if it was fantastic, I wouldn't know!

Finally, while I'm ranting, what's with all this "nasty" headed spams - ie: you look stupid [name] in this video, or "NEWS: [celebrity of your choice] murdered by 6 year old maniac" there is no way I'm going to open anything like that! why would I want to see me looking stupid? Or check out unsolicited news stories on email (even if I were interested)? Surely the idea of spam is to get you to open the email & at least have a look at the virus/con/illegal site. This stuff is all going to be deleted by everyone isn't it? I'm sure I'm not that unusual!

OK, rant over. For now......





BTW does anyone know why it's called spam?

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, December 10, 2008 5:04:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Assuming you're asking about bulk unsolicited e-mail and not the pork product, here is the answer : "The history of calling inappropriate postings in great numbers 'Spam' is from a Monty Python skit (see http://www.ironworks.com/comedy/python/spam.htm ) where a couple go into a restaurant, and the wife tries to get something other than Spam. In the background are a bunch of Vikings that sing the praises of Spam. Pretty soon the only thing you can hear in the skit is the word 'Spam'. That same idea would happen to the Internet if large scale inappropriate postings were allowed. You couldn't pick the real postings out from the Spam."

     
  • At Wednesday, December 10, 2008 5:23:00 pm, Blogger Juggling Mother said…

    well, whaddya know - in case you hadn't realised, that's where my title came from too!

     
  • At Wednesday, December 10, 2008 6:25:00 pm, Blogger Sleepypete said…

    The spamcops had a major breakthrough about a month ago, when they identified a company hosting a lot of the spambots and took it offline ...

    The spammers seem to have gotten around that though. I can't believe there's so many muppets out there who allow their computers to come under the influence of the botnets ...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home