The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I'm good, me

I had my appraisal at work last week. I was a little anxious - I knew I'd seen a number of good evaluation forms from lawyers I'd worked for, but you can never tell if others had been sent in, or what my line managers might say. Also, I have changed my days a couple of times, been slightly militant in staff meetings and taken a lot of days off sick (about 5 in the past 9 months, which is an awfull ot for me). But it went really well, and they seemed more than happy with my work and my place in the firm. I didn't ask for a pay-rise, thought that might be pushing my luck considering everything, but I confidently expect one next time round.

Then at the weekend we went off to the Company of Chivalry's annual banquet, and Aggie & I were both out up a rank to retainer. I got a lovely set of keys to the household, and Aggie got an admonition to obey my orders! How cool is that? And I get to jangle when I walk in my medieval kit now, which is terribly empowering!!!

My rib is finally settling down again now. After the exercise on my birthday it was really painful, and I tried the authentic pain relief of drinking too much alcohol at the banquet, which was incredibly unsuccessfull - it didn't stop the pain at the time, but did make me not care about doing things that made it hurt MUCH more the next day - but after sleeping for 12 hours last night (except for getting up for coughing children!) it seems to be on the mend now.

I went to Court on Monday to observe the housing case worker. It was very interesting, but you do have to wonder at some of the people. Some of them just didn't pay their rent/mortgage, didn't contact the person who was owed the money, didn't stick to previous court orders, and when asked why not, said it was just because they didn't get round to it! then they wondered why they were being evicted! Although most cases were fairly straight forward, and were easily sorted with agreement betwen the parties. I am almost finished my training at the CAB now, just a couple of days left, then a four day intensive course in Cardiff. But I am finally starting to feel that I will be able to do it, and looking forward to properly starting.

I was invited to join 'Think Parents' - a network of parental bloggers by Digital Outlook. No freebies have turned up yet (in the whole 24 hours I've been a memmber), but I'm always up for protot-type testing. I know the big bloggers get freebie laptops and all sorts, but tbh, a cuddly toy every now and then would be nice - so watch this space for honest advertising:) You never know, perhaps my readership will get something out of it too - the last promo I did gave away a prize to the winner.......

1 Comments:

  • At Thursday, November 27, 2008 2:19:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi there

    Hope you’re well.

    We’re looking after a brand new mums site that I thought might be of interest to you, www.mumspower.com

    Mumspower are targeting working mums offering them a brilliant new online drama, Heart & Soul, alongside a huge variety of great site content. I thought you might be interested in checking it out and letting your readers know your thoughts!

    Heart & Soul is the first grown up web drama of its kind and as well as providing some pretty gripping viewing, there is also an exciting competition running alongside the show. The producers have created a dynamic fifth character to join the diverse cast and they are holding open auditions so anyone can win the opportunity to nab a fully paid starring role in the soap!

    If you are interested in it, we have loads of trailers and images available. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

    Thanks
    Charlie x


    New online drama, Heart & Soul, targeting working mums launches on Mumspower.com

    • First online soap opera targeting working mums launches today
    • Opportunity for real working mums to win a professional acting contract and lead role on the show
    • Social networking functionality on Mumspower.com will enable mums to debate social issues and discuss private concerns

    It’s tough being a working mum. Juggling a career and family life is a difficult and stressful proposition. The demands are never-ending, and the rewards can sometimes feel few and far between, as they are so often followed by yet another request - more pocket money, more overtime, another lift to yet another party, another gadget that everyone else has! It’s no surprise a lot of working mums feel like they’re on a treadmill, constantly running but seldom moving forward. Many working mums persevere at this momentum, determined to find the balance between their career aspiration and a happy family life.

    Taking this very real dilemma as an inspiration, comes the launch of Heart & Soul, an online soap opera targeted at working mothers, which will run weekly on new WebTV channel and social networking site Mumspower.com. The show will explore the lives of four working mothers, touching upon important issues such as childcare, employment and education and, of course, shopping, fashion and friendship. The 10 minute episodes are also set to run on Bebo and YouTube and the site will have its own Facebook profile and group. The episodes on Mumspower.com will also be supported by weekly blogs and video diaries from the characters, giving the community a more rounded view of the characters and the show.

    The soap will give a voice to every woman – the single mother, the widow, the stay at home mum and the girlfriend dating a single father - with each episode examining the challenges they face as modern working women trying to hold together a family.

    Single mum Abby had her son while still in her teens and is now looking to catch up with her education and further her career; Susi, a mother of two, is used to living a privileged life with her property developer husband, but things are about to change and she’ll have to face some harsh realities; Lecturer Jo was completely focused on her career until she met Desi – now she’s playing mum to his troubled son Daniel and there are more problems on the horizon for her; Penny has found herself widowed in her late forties and is struggling with loneliness now her daughter has left for university – she wants to move on with her life, but is unsure how to take that first step. A character has been developed for the fifth working mum and a competition will be launched soon to find a real mum to fill her shoes on the show.

    Mumspower.com will act as a broadcaster for the online drama and the website will provide social networking capabilities for working mothers. This online community will be a place where they can interact with their peers, debate social issues and discuss private concerns in an supportive, empowering environment.

    For further information please contact:
    Lily Fallala/ Charlotte Sweeney at Taylor Herring on 020 8206 5151
    Email: lily.fallala@taylorherring.com / charlotte.sweeney@taylorherring.com
    *******************

    Please see the attached release for more information. If you do choose to run this news story please credit www.mumspower.com
    Trailers of the show and characters can also be viewed and embedded from http://www.youtube.com/BethMumspower

     

Post a Comment

<< Home