The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Northern Lights, camera, action...

We went to see Northern Lights on Thursday - off to another preview showing I hear you ask?! I don't know, anyone would think we were real film buffs:-) We went down to Taunton, being unable to cope with even the thought of going to Cribbs Causeway during December;-) I have to say, Taunton Odeon is MASSIVELY better then Cribbs. We'll be going back out of preference from now on. Firstly they still let you book your actual seats so (should the cinema be busy) there is no need to arrive an hour early to queue up. Also, the staff seemed to have worked out that they were sorking in the service industry, and were visiable, cheerful and helpful. Pretty much the opposite of the cribbs staff!

Anyway, the film. There were only a dozen or so of us thre - which I always find amazing for preview showings. We were obviously all fans, and I was earwigging a few conversations about the merits of the books and the cast choices before it started:-) I loved the books when I read them a couple of years ago. I have re-read the set about a ear ago, and Northern Lights again last month, just to remind myself of exactly what was written. I said originally that I was amazed they were ever published, and they would never be made into films. I still think that any US studio that bank rolls the third book as it is written is likely to be burned to the ground... but we shall see.

Overall the film was good. It was over-simplified imo. It was made into black & white/goodies and baddies very quickly and with no questions asked about it as there are in the books. Obviously, large chunks of the story and particularly the back story are missed out, to the detriment of the narrative. But to did stick to the main aspects of the book, and did not shy far away from the religious aspects. the acting was good, the Daemons were great. It ended abruptly 3/4 of the way trough the book which caused everonein th cinema to exclaim simaultaneously "it doesn't end there!" and we left thinking that it was a good enough film. But not great. Definitely not another LoR. Oh well.

1 Comments:

  • At Monday, December 10, 2007 12:24:00 pm, Blogger CyberKitten said…

    Might see it on Thursday.....

    I *need* to see this movie.

    As you did I LOVED the books. Three of the best I've ever read. I think that the film will inevitably be a bit disapointing because it couldn't really capture the rich narrative of the book(s).

    Like you I'll be amazed if the next two films have the anti-religious *bite* of the books - especially when made in the US.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home