The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Thursday, January 25, 2007

A dummies guide to Law for Lawyers

The new job is going really well. I'm enjoying the work, the people are nice and seem more than happy with what I'm doing, there is no expectation for me to immediately know everything, and I haven't found reading about even the ickest cases too difficult.

but......

What is it about Lawyers that makes them think the law doesn't apply to them?

Once again, no written job offer, no Job description, no contract.

No induction, no H&S information, no workplace risk assessment.

I found the office manual today. it definitely SAYS that new employees should have all the above, so they KNOW what the law is, they just don't think it actually applies to them! I'm baffled as to why - it puts them in such a bad situation if anything goes wrong!

Still, I'm hopeful nothing will go wrong:-)

I'm certainly very happy so far. Finishing at 3pm yesterday just made so much difference. i didn't feel any of the stress, and I was even ready to go to college on time. (I really must start doing some homework this week!!). And even finishing at 5 tonight wasn't too bad - because I knew it was only twice a week, plus 5pm is a lot different to 5.15pm when after-school club closes at 5.30:-) They seem happy with me too... I've re-arranged my office, cleared a backlog of files that needed checking, started sorting out the case notes of a three year (so far) long case, typed three tapes and learned my round the computer system and some of the office procedures. I reckon I've done OK, but the three people in the Family Dept have all said I've done well, so hopefully it will carry on in the same vein.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At Thursday, January 25, 2007 9:54:00 pm, Blogger Emily said…

    Hey JM

    A question: what made you decide to have a third child? The age difference between your no 1 and 2 are the same as mine. I would love another and know, seeing as I am now 32, if I had another it would have to be sooner rather than later. So it is do or don't within the next year.

     
  • At Thursday, January 25, 2007 10:40:00 pm, Blogger Juggling Mother said…

    ummmm, we didn't decide to have a third. in fact we had positively decided NOT to have any more as soon as we found out LMB was a girl!

    Sadly, we went on holiday and I forgot the condoms. Then I got drunk.

    oooops.

    :-)

     
  • At Friday, January 26, 2007 9:43:00 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    sounds like the job is going well - very effecient. And it's always the way - our policy dept here spits out all the procedures and guidlines for the rest of the whole organisation but wont follow them within their own section if you pay them to!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home