The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Reasons to be cheerful: 1, 2, 3...

I know I moan alot about stuff here, but there are times when I am reminded how very lucky I am to live in an advanced country in the 21st century.

Today was one of those moments, as I sit here shivering in front of the coal fire that is our only source of heat, knowing that I can pile on as much coal & wood as necessary because it's only go to last another 24 hours - not another couple of months! Our house was built nearly 150 years ago - long before central heating was even thought about (yes, i know Brits had central heating during Roman times, but no-one had it for many centuries in between!), yet it is eminently unsuitable for keeping warm by coal fire - high ceilings, thick stone walls & many, many draughts - even with double glazing (mostly) and heavy curtains. The fire barely heats the whole of one room, let alone anywhere else in the house. Of course, the addition of electric lights, TV & internet helps pass the time in that single room:-) The kids have electric radiators in their bedrooms too, which at least take the chill of the air as the snow drifts down outside.

So reason 1 = central heating, utilities direct to every house & the knowledge that my children will still be able to sleep soundly and safely whatever the weather.

Of course, I don't like that Aggie is in hospital again for a few weeks, but I am eternally grateful that medical science has solved so many of the major health issues that plagued humanity for most of it's existance, making it a fair bet that we will all survive childhood, minor illnesses and infections, and accidental injuries. Naturally the role of the NHS in saving Aggies life on a daily basis is fairly important to me, as is the fact that if I'd been born 100 years earlier I'd be dead at least twice by now, as would 3/4 of all the people I know (try this poll out on your friends and family, it's amazing how many people hve had blood transfusions/surgery/high fevers etc). I am also delighted that the cost of the many medications Aggie has tried have not been dumped on to us - either directly or by higher insurance premiums, and that when i decided to leave work, I did not have to worry about how that would affect any healthcare issues I may have in the future.

So reason no 2 = Medical science & the NHS

Finally, although I think that we have lost a great deal of our community in our current society, and that in the centuries to come, historians will look back on this time as a period of enormous social upheaval, I am not stuck in the house completely alone once the kids are asleep - i can turn on the computer & find support for whatever i am feeling at any time. I know it's not the same as real people, but it's certainly better than silence! And as my offer of a babysitting circle (made to all 30 parents in Mstr A's class) seems to have been completely ignored, I am grateful for the company I find on the net.

So reason no. 3 = The internet & wireless technology allowing me to use it in the warm room.

7 Comments:

  • At Sunday, March 12, 2006 7:14:00 pm, Blogger Sleepypete said…

    I'd definitely agree with the three cheers for medical science. I've had just one operation, to straighten a broken nose (couldn't breathe properly).

    But that's not the biggest reason I'm happy for the level of medical science we have available to us. I have an astygmatism, which means without my glasses, I can barely see anything ... Medical science has given me the ability to function.

    Without my eyes, I wouldn't be able to read. No reading means I can't unlock my intelligence. No brains means I can't work ... And it spirals from there. More importantly though, no glasses would mean it would be harder to play games !

    PS Hope you get delivered a BetterSkin Mk2 Aggie soon :-)

     
  • At Sunday, March 12, 2006 7:24:00 pm, Blogger Paste said…

    I'm with you on this one, I was walking along Brighton seafront about ten years ago and got an insect bite and thought nothing of it. Two days later and with a bite that was erupting like Vesuvios (is that how you spell it?)I was very glad of antibiotics as without them that little bite would have killed me via blood poisoning.
    Oh and I have an astygmatism and without my glasses I see everything double, which is not good!

     
  • At Monday, March 13, 2006 12:04:00 am, Blogger mig bardsley said…

    Yes I agree with all those too.
    If we didn't have central heating I don't think I'd get up all through the winter!

     
  • At Monday, March 13, 2006 1:17:00 am, Blogger stc said…

    What a pleasant, optimistic post! Perhaps huddling in front of the coal fire put you in a magnanimous mood. Central heating is better if you want to keep your house warm, but it lacks ambience.

     
  • At Monday, March 13, 2006 10:16:00 am, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said…

    I admire that you can at this time see all the positive things to be grateful for...not sure I would be quite so forgiving without heat and without my husband...But I do see your points and they are very very well taken...Hope you get your heat back in the form of Spring very soon, as well as getting your dear husband back home once again, too...I know it's not the same as 'real people' but there a few of us out there in the Blogesphere who send you good wishes and much hope, too...and some Hugs, too, My Dear Mrs. A.

     
  • At Monday, March 13, 2006 10:32:00 am, Blogger MaR said…

    Positive, optimistic thoughts are the best for one's soul. Way to do it, Mrs.A. Hope Mr. A. gets well soon

     
  • At Monday, March 13, 2006 12:31:00 pm, Blogger Juggling Mother said…

    Sleepy - good point - even if we survived, our quality of life would have been massively diminished 100 years ago (or more). I don't even want to think about life wihout my eyesight - and I had less than a metre visibility by 20 years old! I love laser teatment:-)

    Dave - I always knew it was a bad idea to go strolling on Brighton beach;-) something so simple could have been so deadly, but now we barely give it a thought

    Mig - When I left my unheated flat in Southampton at the end of my student days i swore I would never live without central heating again! Winter goes on for sooooo long without it.

    Journeyman - what did you do with Q? The coal fire is lovely to look at in addition to central heating, but doesn't come close in usefulness! I rarely use it to be honest - it's not worth the hassle on the whole.

    OOL - thanks:-) despite appearances on this blog, I am generally quite an optomistic person:-)

    Mar - cheers. Aggie is foing well & mob-blogging from his hospital bed again.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home