The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Bleurgh

You know there are some days when it all seems a bit pointless and annoying.

My washing basket is overflowing, but I can't sum up the energy to get on with it. partly because there are already piles of clean clothes waiting to be sorted out and put away, and I have to do that before there is room for any more washing. partly because the weather is shit and everything is damp and cold. Partly becasue it's all going to get dirty again anyway!

The house is pretty messy again too - but tidying sems so much ffort, when I know it will e a mess within minutes anyway. I ought to bite the bullet and just throw loads of stuff out - we're overflowing with kids toys & clothes, most of which aren't currently used & are just taking up space, but you never know when something might be useful......

Mstr A has been horrible at school again, so last night and this morning was spent writing sorry letters! Which means I can not rely on computers/the Tv to babysit for a few minutes while I do something more interesting and have to actually put some effort into bringing up my kids:-(

Did I mention the rain?

And I have to go to the dentist to get a filling, and I can't be bothered to organise it.

LMB is nearly three years old & still refuses to be potty/toilet trained and I'm getting seriously pissed off with clearing up the mess, and equally pissed off with buying her nappies.

I haven't heard anything back about my teacher training course.

The new school looked really good & the headteacher was happy to take on Mstr A even with his problems, and was even willing to implement many of the things his current school refuse to contemplate (ie: time out, a peer buddy etc), but there are two places available from Sept. and three people applying for them, so we won't know until at least July!

I haven't taken the kids swimming for weeks, but it's cold and wet and I don't fancy the two mile walk, which is stunningly lazy, as I really believe that swimming is a vital skill and any parent who neglects to ensure their kids can swim adequately is failing in their duty. Of course, if there was a bus that took us even vaguely near to the pool......

I haven't chased up anything about the idiots at Somerset Splash yet, and I do keep meaning to. I am disgusted that niether MP has even bothered to acknowledge my letter, and still have to find out if they took up th option of an independant risk assessment, and what the outcome was. I ought to get on with it, ecause the longer I leave it, the less likely I am to get any kind of reply, but it all takes time and effort *sigh*

I till have 5 essays to write for my college course.

It's half term next week, so i'll have Mstr A at home all week as well as the girls.

And it's cold & wet, so i can't even dump them in the garden/park/beach.

I haven't had any work for ages:-(

Bleurgh!

9 Comments:

  • At Thursday, May 25, 2006 1:47:00 pm, Blogger Paste said…

    Oh dear, we're in a real 'the cup is half empty' day today.
    Cheer up it could be worse, here's something to make you smile:-


    An Englishman is having breakfast one morning (coffee, croissants, bread, butter and jam) when a Frenchman, chewing bubble-gum, sits down next to him. The Englishman ignores the Frenchman who, nevertheless, starts a conversation.

    Frenchman: "You English folk eat the whole bread??"

    Englishman (in a bad mood): "Of course."

    Frenchman: (after blowing a huge bubble) "We don't. In France, we only eat what's inside. The crusts we collect in a container, recycle it, transform them into croissants and sell them to Britain." The Frenchman has a smirk on his face.

    The Englishman listens in silence.

    The Frenchman persists: "Do you eat jam with the bread??"

    Englishman: "Of Course."

    Frenchman: (cracking his bubble-gum between his teeth and chukling).

    "We don't. In France we eat fresh fruit for breakfast, then we put all the peels, seeds, and leftovers in containers, recycle them, transform them into jam and sell the jam to Britain."

    After a moment of silence, The Englishman then asks: "Do you have sex in France?"

    Frenchman: "Why of course we do", he says with a big smirk.

    Englishman: "And what do you do with the condoms once you've used them?"

    Frenchman: "We throw them away, of course."

    Englishman: "We don't. In Britain, we put them in a container, recycle them, melt them down into
    bubble-gum and sell them to France."

     
  • At Thursday, May 25, 2006 1:50:00 pm, Blogger JR said…

    Did you mention that it's cold and wet? ;-) On days like the ones you're having, I used to do something totally spontaneous. It would shock and delight my kids and snap me out of the doldrums. One time, when I couldn't motivate myself enough to cook anything for dinner, as there were really very few options. We all had banana splits for dinner. When my kids asked what's for dinner, I said, "dessert!" When they looked at me dumbfounded, I said, "what? It's the best part of dinner and you do everything you can to avoid the main courses and skip through to dessert anyway." They decided not to press their luck. So we all sat at the table with three different kinds of ice cream, bananas and other assorted fruits, and every ice cream topping imaginable. We giggled our way through too much ice cream and the whole evening. At bath time the kids were giddy that they had a mom who decided to serve dessert for dinner. I figured it was a one time thing and wouldn't scar them for life. Apparently it did have an indelible effect though because even though they're teenagers now, they still like to remind me of our dessert dinner.

    Other times I would do exactly what I felt like doing or what the kids were doing and it relieved the stress. For instance, my kids loved rolling down hills and were always begging me to roll with them. I would do it once in a while, half-heartedly, but on a few occasions, I threw myself into it whole-heartedly, we had contests for the longest, messiest, or most spectacular roll, and then lie in a heap at the bottom of the hill for a long giggle-fest.

    Another time I was just so pissed off and stressed out and I wanted to scream. It was a great lesson for my kids. We tried out different types of yells, screams, screams into pillows, screams with our mouths closed, screams while stomping around like angry monsters. I have no idea what the neighbors thought of all the noise, but nobody ever called the cops on us. When it was over, we were exhausted, hoarse, and laughing again. Sometimes you have to give in to the urge, just get creative with it.

    As for the potty training, ugh! I hated that! My first one was trained before her first year with no problem, my second one, he wasn't semi-trained until the 3-4 range, but still wet the bed regularly through age 9 and then infrequently until age 11. I have no easy answers. I did everything from coax, cajole and bribe, to cutting off liquids after a certain hour. I do know you can time your child to see how long after she eats or drinks that she has the urge to use the loo, or just go in some cases. Once you've done this for a number of days, you can pretty much calculate maybe 45 minutes after she drinks, she'll need to pee, an hour after a meal she'll need to poo, then, create an activity in the loo at the right time, so she'll be close by when she has the urge. We would do puzzles in the bathroom or I'd let them use tile soaps on the walls in the bath, while I was cleaning the rest of the room. Then when the urge hit, I'd pop them on the can to do their business. Another trick is you can make it a contest. You can give a prize for who can guess the closest time to when she'll have to go. She'll figure out pretty quickly to go when she wants so she'll win the prize every time. But it will also train her to pay attention to her bodily needs. Good luck! :-)

     
  • At Thursday, May 25, 2006 2:01:00 pm, Blogger Wandering Coyote said…

    Dave: I've heard that one before. It's a good one.

    Mrs. A: I can hear how overwhelmed you are. VV is right; you need to change your energy and moving around or doing something unexpected & spontaneous is a great idea. One lesson I've learned is that to get energy you usually have to expend energy. Any kind of movement usually works for me: walking, when I was married wrestling, and even kneading bread.

    I hope you feel better soon and that you get some sun.

     
  • At Thursday, May 25, 2006 7:31:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think you need a visit from Nanny A. see you tomorrow.Hope you can wait that long before jumping off the end of the pier.

     
  • At Thursday, May 25, 2006 10:32:00 pm, Blogger craziequeen said…

    oh dear - such blues after a wonderful trip....I know those feelings!

    Nanny A will do her Mary Poppins bit and help out tomorrow, I'm sure!

    cq

     
  • At Friday, May 26, 2006 1:38:00 am, Blogger mig bardsley said…

    I'm with you! It's the knowing you have to do it all agin tomorrow...or even worse, today and tomorrow!
    Never mind, I expect the sun will arrive eventually. And Nanny A, obviously :)

     
  • At Friday, May 26, 2006 7:27:00 am, Blogger Aginoth said…

    Thanks guys.

    I know I'm just being a whiney cow, cos life is going along prety well right now, and I can hardly complain of mundanity (is that a word?) when i've been away for 6 out of the last 14 days, but sometimes you just feel in a bad mood.

    The jokes made me smile & I'll definitely have to try the screaming competition thing VV - even if just to annoy the neighbours;-)

     
  • At Friday, May 26, 2006 5:13:00 pm, Blogger Aginoth said…

    Obviously the last comment was not from me...Mrs.A forgot to check who was logged in :o)

     
  • At Monday, May 29, 2006 6:35:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "...have to actually put some effort into bringing up my kids."

    [chuckle] I can soooo relate to that.

    Sorry to hear that you had one of those bleurgh kind of days. I've had a few too many of those myself lately (hence the lack of decent postings).

    I'm with VV... we should all have banana splits for dinner at least once... if not once a week. [grin]

     

Post a Comment

<< Home