The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Sunday Bouncy Sunday

It's a bouncy bouncy day today, because I've been working all weekend, and wierd as it may seem that makes me happy.

I love my work. I get a kick out of doing something I'm good at, and that helps numerous other people. It's extra good when every candidates compliments me at the end of a course, saying it's the best ourse they've ever attended;-) Actually, this remark is becomming worringly regular. Worringly because it's usually preceeded by something like "on the last course I attended I didn't understand anything/was bored to sleep each day/scared off doing anything, ever". Now , whereas I'm pleased that I can change their minds (and hopefully get some good references/more work), I worry what kind of people are out there teaching first aid, and how many people think it's a horrile subject to be avoided at all costs!

anyway, it was a lovely course. Only a few candidates, all very interested in what I had to say, and clever enough to understand the theory behind the practical sessions. They also had a fantastic attitude (once they got over their original fear), and made the course full of laughter and fun. They were also the ONLY course I have ever taught that insisted on keeping their bandages on throughout the day - causing fits of giggles every time they looked at each other:-)

I'm feeling all fired up about work again now, so am off to tender for my local authority courses!

On a completely different note, I listened to Aled Jones on Radio 2 this morning, doing the obligatory Sunday morning religion show (I think it's actually still part of the BBC's remit to offer religious services on a sunday? Anyone know for sure?) I actually find these shows quite interesting - they bend over so far backwards to be inclusive of all religions, that it tends to be quite funny. Today he finished his show with a quote that I just found utterly, utterly depressing: "For those who believe, there are no questions. For those who don't, there are no answers."

Now, most of you know that I'm not a believer, but on the whole I don't really care if you are or not. BUT OMG! NO QUESTIONS!?! What is life without questions? Are you really supposed to (do you) just passively take everything in life without even wondering why? How will society/humanity/science ever progress without questions? How would religion grow and progress?

If that quote is true, Thank the Lord (sic) that I am a questioning unbeliever!

10 Comments:

  • At Sunday, February 19, 2006 10:18:00 pm, Blogger Paste said…

    Too true. Yours a thankful unbeliever.

     
  • At Monday, February 20, 2006 10:09:00 am, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said…

    Amen, Sister! I agree, Oh Yes I Do!
    Glad you had such a great time teaching! It is soooo satisfying to LOVE what you do and to get the chance to do it! I hope much much more work comes your way, Mrs. A.

     
  • At Monday, February 20, 2006 12:17:00 pm, Blogger CyberKitten said…

    "For those who believe, there are no questions. For those who don't, there are no answers."

    What an icredibly insular and insulting quote....

    No questions - sheep come to mind

    No answers - how patronising.

     
  • At Monday, February 20, 2006 1:09:00 pm, Blogger JR said…

    I'll second CK's comments about the quote. I've seen quotes like this way too often. It seems they're trying to make a closed math equation in words, "if only positive a can leave a subset of b, then negative a cannot leave a subset of b," but it doesn't work that way. Oh, it sound right on the surface for people used to being spoon fed and not questioning anything, and maybe that's the point. They don't want you to ask questions, because then you would create something other than "a" or subset "b." And by virtue of doing that, you would disprove the original statement. Oh, and congrats on your work. I wish I had more satisfying days in my own work.

     
  • At Monday, February 20, 2006 7:28:00 pm, Blogger stc said…

    That's why I'm such a lousy Christian, I guess. I ask too many questions, and have doubts about too many of the answers.

     
  • At Monday, February 20, 2006 8:50:00 pm, Blogger CyberKitten said…

    Q said: That's why I'm such a lousy Christian, I guess. I ask too many questions, and have doubts about too many of the answers.

    Doubt is Good.

     
  • At Monday, February 20, 2006 9:04:00 pm, Blogger Juggling Mother said…

    That makes you a good christian Q. That's exactly my point - it's the ones that don't ask any questions that can't really be good christians. If you don't question things, how can you improve them? And surely religion is about improvement of yours and other lives.

     
  • At Monday, February 20, 2006 10:16:00 pm, Blogger CyberKitten said…

    Mrs A said: If you don't question things, how can you improve them? And surely religion is about improvement of yours and other lives.

    Indeed. If your faith is blind how can you see the way?

     
  • At Tuesday, February 21, 2006 2:40:00 am, Blogger Morris said…

    Yeah, I really enjoyed it too! Thanks for emailing me about that pie you made.

    Mr. Morris
    Ask Morris

     
  • At Wednesday, February 22, 2006 12:11:00 am, Blogger mig bardsley said…

    Is he a tiny bit dim do you think? Or just too lazy to think about what he's saying?
    Anyway of course doubt and questioning are good and necessary.
    Oh and "no answers". Rubbish. Life is full of answers. As long as you ask questions :)
    Glad you're enjoying work.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home