The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I always knew it...

SAH Motherhood is just not for me. It's been two weeks now - one of which was half term so I would've been home anyway - and I am soooooo bored!

It's not as though there's nothing to do. There's plenty! And it's mostly the never-ending variety, but it's not interesting. You have to be a very special sort of person to feel fulfilled by playing hide-and-seek with a 2 year old for an hour. Two year olds tend to only hide in one place for starters, and will pop up yelling "I'm here" if you don't keep up a constant monologue about where they could be, where you are looking, if you have found them, and where you're going to check next!

I'm not that sort of person.

I still feels as though I'm cheating.

It doesn't help not having a car. It seemed like a sensible idea when I came up with it. My domestic journeys really are very short, only a few thousend miles a year, and the cost of keeping a car made it seem silly. But now I'm stuck at home every day, I miss it. I can still get to most places - which is why I said I didn't need the car, but now instead of popping out for a quick nip to the leisure centre, I have to organise a full blown expedition! And double buggy's don't fit on buses. And the buses don't go close enough to anywhere to be able to walk from the bus stop with just the single buggy. Who planned the bus routes you may ask? I certainly do!

I expect it will be better in the summer. At the moment I don't really fancy the long walk to anywhere because it's so cold, and the girls get miserable after a while too. Once the weather turns, the whole town feels like a holiday anyway:-)

Still, I put in another job application today. Fingers crossed!

4 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, February 21, 2006 1:11:00 pm, Blogger JR said…

    I was a SAH mom for five years. The boredom got to me too. Some of the things I did to combat it were to homeschool my kids. Planning lessons and structuring their time was stimulating. I especially loved planning cooking and science lessons for them. Another thing I did, partially because I had a massive yard and tons of playground equipment was to invite other SAH moms over to discuss current events or just have adult conversation while the kiddos entertained themselves. I also joined an on-line writers group which constantly challenged my brain to come up with plot lines, diaglogues, etc. When all that didn't work, I painted rooms, installed light fixtures, ceiling fans, and taught myself upholstery and re-did my queen-sized sofa sleeper at least 4 times. :-) Good luck!

     
  • At Wednesday, February 22, 2006 12:16:00 am, Blogger mig bardsley said…

    When my children were small I found it hard to go from very very boring repetition to extremely demanding questions all in the space of a few minutes. Oof! My hat off to all of you who do it now!
    Good luck with the job app.

     
  • At Wednesday, February 22, 2006 5:07:00 am, Blogger Carolyn said…

    From time to time I have these unrealistic, but slightly romanticized visions of getting rid of my car. I would coast around on a Vespa, wind flowing by, backpack carrying my necessary items.

    And then I wake up and realize I work in a really bad neighborhood where I would be Vespa-jacked, I carry three bags every day (lunch, gym stuff, computer/brief case) and I'd never make it through the winter.

    I'll still dream. Good luck.

     
  • At Wednesday, February 22, 2006 9:31:00 am, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said…

    I'll cross my fingers, too, Mrs. A. Hope it works out for you so Hide & Seek is a distant memory..well, at least a game that doesn't have to be played as often! (lol)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home