The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Monday, June 11, 2007

I am NOT a media whore

But me and Mstr A are apparently going to be on the radio this afternoon. I'm not too sure how this happened - I really didn't court the publicity this time! In fact, I don't really want it - I like the school, Mstr A is getting on really well there, LMB will be starting there in September. I don't want to antagonise them, or start getting into arguments with what they are doing - i think they are a very good school, and the Head teacher has worked brilliantly with us as a family to help Mstr A settle in well and to really enjoy going there!

But Radio Bristol have been trying to get hold of me all weekend! They really want to do this interview, and it is an issue that I think is important. Which is why I felt compelled to comment on the original story (now changed to include the schools rapid back-peddalling statements). There are few things that I feel are both importnat enough and that i have the knowledge to comment publically on (not publically like this blog - which has a readership of a dozen or so, but publically like on the BBC!), but this is one. It is the only time I have put a comment on the BBC website! and it would be wrong to NOT put my opinion forward when asked for it now.

Plus, there seems to be an element of sleaze entering into this story now - with the school apparently claiming that Mstr A was upset & crying when walking alone - and that other 6 year olds would be OK to walk to school, just not Mstr A. Which I had not heard from anyone before - not from the other parents, not from Mstr A and definitely not from the school. If he was upset, and they failed to tell me, surely THAT is a breach of their duty? Still, I find it extremely unlikely thta he was. He was certainly upset when I told him he was not allowed to go on his own. And today when I said that the school had decided that 6 was old enough, he immediately asked if he could go on his own from now on.

I suggested he wait 'till September when he is a junior - which was always my intention anyway! Oh well, as Radio Bristol want to speak directly to him, and I am confident that he will both be able to explain road safety and describe his route to school and how he wants to go off on his own - in fact the problem might be getting him to stop talking:-)

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At Monday, June 11, 2007 4:35:00 pm, Blogger CyberKitten said…

    Can I have your autograph before you become too famous to talk to me?

    All for a good cause I guess - and at least it should help to get your side of the story across. Or do you think that the media are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill - which is not like them at all!

     
  • At Monday, June 11, 2007 5:36:00 pm, Blogger Juggling Mother said…

    I won't forget you when I'm rich and famous CK:-)

    I think the mountain is there. It's extremely worrying how we're bringing up our kids nowadays - not just the independence of walking to school/playing out with your friends (I have occasionally sent him round to ask a friend to play - it's always been no!), but the whole culture of "protecting" them from doing or learning about anything. Everything from sex to cookery seem to be off limits now, and I worry bout what kind of young adults we will end up with, and then what kind of parents they will make themselves!

    However, I would have preferred not to the spokesperson for this one. I am not keen on the fall-out that may come from it! But needs must.....

     
  • At Monday, June 11, 2007 6:37:00 pm, Blogger Paste said…

    Good luck is all I can say.

     
  • At Monday, June 11, 2007 9:21:00 pm, Blogger craziequeen said…

    CK and I have already talked about this 'crying on the way to school' and the only thing we can possibly think is maybe daddy confiscated the Wii......[chuckle]

    We really can't see Aginoth Jnr crying like they claim - [places tongue firmly in cheek] maybe if someone else pressed the pedestrian crossing button for him - well, yeah, that would result in a screaming jag [rotflmao] don't think sleepypete ever got over that!

    cq

     
  • At Friday, June 15, 2007 7:35:00 am, Blogger Sidetracked Home Executive said…

    Hi, just thought I would drop by and say hello. I came by way of Hannah's blog :o)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home