The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Friday, July 14, 2006

oops, mummy broke the baby:-(

It was a bad morning today. Mstr A wouldn't get up when I called him, so all our timings were a bitt off. We left for school a bit late, so I didn't bother with the pram, just hoiked LMD up on my shoulders, grabbed LMB's hand and told Mstr A to keep up.

He dawdled.

I strode off up the road, and yelled at him to keep up.

He stopped to examine a traffic cone at the side of the road.

I swung round to yell at him to keep up, he ran, LMB slipped, I reached down to grab her before she fell, LMD wriggled, Mstr A ran screaming into my legs, LMD fell off my shoulders to the pavement in front of me. I tried to grab her legs as she fell, succeeding in turning her completely upside down and watched in horror as she fell straight onto her forehead!

Everybody screamed.

I dropped LMB's hand (causing more screams) & picked up LMD. There was blood in her mouth & nose, and an enormous lump & graze on her forehead. But she was alive, awake & screaming - all good signs.

We continued to school in double quick time muttering recriminations. As Mstr A had been particularly horrible at school yesterday, I supervised him a he handed out his letters of apology, while cuddling a whiney LMD and telling LMB to stop moaning about her foot hurting! As soon as the whistle blew for school, I stomped back home as quickly as possible, while fending off many well-meaning parents checking on LMD.

By the time we got home, LMD was looking very woozy & didn't seem to be focusing properly, so I knew I was going have to take her to the hospital to be checked out. My first trip to casualty for any of my kids:-(

It took an hour for the bus to take us the 3-4 miles to the local hosptal. I could have walked it quicker!! (although LMB couldn't have). It wasn't helpedby the driver stopping at the first stop, getting out, locking the doors and walking off. No reason given, nothing said at all. There were seven of us, just trapped on the bus (the doors don't open from the inside, unless you use the emergency cord, which will get you a fine!) It was 15 mins before another driver wandered over, had a chat outside for a few minutes, then got in, and without a word, started off again! The bus was 7 mins late before we even started!

By the time we got there, LMD was looking just fine, and ran off to play with the toys! Obviously the triage nurse took one look at her & thought there was no need to rush. An hour later we see a dr, who tells me the signs & symptoms of concussion (although she did stop when I told her my job), checked LMD's eyes & ears while she screamed, and said theres nothing wrong now! Grrrrrr! Another hour's bus ride home, and that's the whole morning, and the last of my pennies for the month gone.

I could've avoided the whole thing if i'd just waited 30 mins - but because I don't have a car, i didn't want to leave it any longer than necessary. So now I no longer get to say I have never had to take my kids to A&E:-( And LMD has a doozy of a bump:-(


  • At Friday, July 14, 2006 1:55:00 pm, Blogger RCA said…

    Bad day,

    Could have been worse

    HUGE HUGS to you and LMD

  • At Friday, July 14, 2006 2:19:00 pm, Blogger Jane said…

    I hope you have rung the bus company and complained long and hard. That is completely out of order!

    Poor LMD hope she makes a quick recovery.

  • At Friday, July 14, 2006 5:12:00 pm, Anonymous Nanny A said…

    poor baby-Nanny A will be needed to do lots of spoiling.Big kiss and hug-hope to see you tomorrow.

  • At Friday, July 14, 2006 7:32:00 pm, Blogger Vancouver Voyeur said…

    Wow! You have three kids and this is your first trip to the emergency room with one of them? I'm impressed! You're a much better mum than I ever was!

    I had a similar problem and dropped my daughter. I was trying to make dinner one night after a particularly horrible day. The Malaysian nanny was "supposed" to be supervising the children while I got dinner. I just kept hearing screaming, yelling, and whining, from my kids, and no matter how many times I asked nanny to do something, the noise only got louder.

    I ran out in a huff to investigate. I discovered my 4 yr. old daughter riding her tricycle around a pole to our patio with the end of her jumprope in hand. Tied to the pole was my 1 yr. old son screaming, and the rope was getting tighter around his neck. I quickly scooped up my daughter with one arm as I tried to yank the rope off my son with the other hand.

    I quickly realized as my son wiggled lose and grabbed my knees that my daughter had never relinquished hold of the tricycle and it was at this instant that she decided to let go. Trike, toddler and rope tangled my legs and was causing me to fall over. Just as I was about to fall with my daughter under me, I dropped her sideways so I wouldn't land on her. She ended up with a big gash on her chin and for weeks after loved to tell people when they asked about her boo-boo that mommy threw her on the ground. *sigh*

    For my troubles I ended up with bruised ribs from landing on top of the tricyle, a gashed elbow and other assorted scrapes on my knees. The only reason the authorities were never called on me was because the nanny was standing there watching this the whole time, otherwise nobody would have believed it. I'm so glad they're teenagers now!

  • At Friday, July 14, 2006 10:23:00 pm, Blogger rashbre said…

    Yikes, stressful at the time, but a good ending. Always best to play safe!

    and Hello, Michele sent me!


  • At Friday, July 14, 2006 10:30:00 pm, Blogger mar said…

    OMG, it's been a long time , Mrs A. I should do something about it. Happy weekend in the first place, yes, Michele sent me your way, it was about time!!

  • At Friday, July 14, 2006 10:34:00 pm, Anonymous rampant bicycle said…

    Oh, my goodness...I hope everyone's ok - and that things are a little less crazy next time!

    Hello from Michele's!

  • At Friday, July 14, 2006 10:45:00 pm, Blogger Karen said…

    Oh I hate those circumstances! It makes my skin crawl when kids fall, even though virtually all of them do during their childhood. You did the right thing, even though it turned out to be nothing. You are a very, very good parent!

    Michele sent me. Hope you're having a great day!

  • At Friday, July 14, 2006 10:46:00 pm, Blogger KaraMia said…

    oh poor baby! Here via michele today

  • At Saturday, July 15, 2006 3:06:00 am, Blogger Carmi said…

    Hi JM. I'm dropping by from Michele's. If every day could be easy, they wouldn't call it parenthood.

    I'm sure everybody who read your entry did so while nodding their heads in empathy. We've all been there. We understand.

    I'm so glad it worked out in the end. When you can write about a happy ending, it's a good thing.

  • At Saturday, July 15, 2006 5:19:00 pm, Blogger Dave said…

    So a good day was had by all!!!

    I'll always remember taking our youngest (now 14) TO A & E as he had a couple of little plastic beads caught up his nose, he was not impressed but the doctor had a good laugh getting them out.

  • At Sunday, July 16, 2006 5:20:00 am, Anonymous ~ Stacy ~ said…

    I read this earlier, but then had to leave before I could comment. I hope LMD is feeling better. Those kind of moments can be scary. My son slipped and fell in the tub when he was about 2 1/2. I was right there to help him out, but didn't catch him in time. He had a lump the size of an egg on his forehead. I'm happy to say that he didn't have a concussion and it healed up rather quickly.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home