The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Yuk!

I've just lifted most of our bathroom floor. We thought there was just cheapo self adhesive vinal tiles down, and as the roof has leaked for at least 5 years, they were already coming up at the corners, so i thought it was going to be an easy job.

HUH!

Under the vinal squares was an expensive piece of padded vinal that appeared to have been stuck down with superglue. It was covered in grime, old rainwater, dead earwigs, and a nice smear of old wee. mmmmm - fragrant! It also killed my stanley knife in just a few cuts, leaving me to resort to brute strength. Yukky & smelly & dirty.

i finally get it all up, only slightly damaging the sink & the bath (which had been put in on top of the flooring), only to find out that the original tiles are still down underneath. I'm not sure what they are made of, or what they are stuck down with, but they are very brittle, don't pull up off the floor easily at all, and leave a nasty black residue behind. They are also covered in that noce mixture of grime, wee, rain & earwigs.

Lots of hot water & bleach later, I have just half the original tiles to do tonight - and they have all dried out now:-) Hopefully tomorrow we can put down the nice new clean tiles we bought, and start using our bathroom again.

3 Comments:

  • At Sunday, May 28, 2006 10:08:00 pm, Blogger craziequeen said…

    Is that the downstairs bathroom?

    Ewwww.........

    But better done than left.....

    [shivers]

    cq

     
  • At Monday, May 29, 2006 6:46:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Blech.

    I replaced the vinyl in our hall bath with tiles, and cringed at working around the bit of gunk around the toilet. It was nothing compared to your ordeal.

    I think, (were I in your position), I would have cried upon finding the third layer of muck... and then I would have delegated the job out, or hired someone else to do it. You are of stronger character than I, Mrs. A. You never cease to amaze me. ;)

    Oh yuck, yuck, yuck! Good luck with the muck.

    [heh] Would you believe me a poet?

     
  • At Monday, May 29, 2006 5:45:00 pm, Blogger Sleepypete said…

    Ahhh - multilayer floors ... So that's why we had to duck when we went into that loo ! :-)

    I might be able to find a napalm supplier ?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home