The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire Review

Well, we've just got back, and it was good.

there were bits of it that were great - the special effects were good enough to barely be noticable - I particularly liked the flying sequence, the fire breathing dragons, and the metamorphasis of Voldemort (which gave more than a passing nod to a number of horror films).

There were bits of it that were pretty bad - the plot was so edited from the book that I think it would either have made no sense at all if you haven't read it first, or will just seem disjointed & narrow. The problem with JK Rowling making each book 100% bigger tan the last is that there wasn't enough time to fit all the sub plots into the first film. Now we're at the 4th one, there is no time to even fit all the maoin pplot in. Also, she keeps making it more magical, and some things just can not be shown on film. The sexiness of the Beauxbatons girls was not even attempted really.

On the whole I liked it. It's a definite for the DVD list when it comes out. It's much darker than the others - well deserving it's 12A rating.

Aggies short review is here, for those of you interested.

mmmm, a 12A film, shown at 8.30pm. Not the ideal place to take your 6 year olds IMHO. They really annoyed us at the start - untill Aggie put on his "daddy" voice & told thm to shut up:-) There was a fair bit of coming & going too, which was slightly annoying, but understandable with young kids. When the film finished t 10.45pm, there were a bunch of 7/8 year olds sitting outside on their phones asking mum if she was going to pick them up or not.

I don't believe that watching "adult" films will turn children into Psychopaths. But IMO letting them go out on their own at that time of night is child abuse.

OK, rant over. Move along now please

8 Comments:

  • At Sunday, December 04, 2005 12:00:00 am, Blogger Star said…

    Michele sent me by. I liked the film all in all. You are right, there is so much left out, but there'e no way to get it all in one movie.

     
  • At Sunday, December 04, 2005 12:04:00 am, Blogger utenzi said…

    Michele sent me by, Mrs. A.

    I've not seen the 3rd or 4th films but eventually I'll get around to it. I've got the 3rd film on loan and might watch it tonight, in fact. I agree totally about the plots needing to be pared down too much. It's unfortunate.

    I don't know about child abuse but it's definitely not a good idea to have your kids when they're that young out on their own. Even with theatres being public places... it's just not wise.

     
  • At Sunday, December 04, 2005 8:00:00 am, Blogger Dak-Ind said…

    we loved the film. i agree that it was very very different than the book, but similar enough to still be based on :) my older son also attended it (hes 13) and he really liked it. this is the first year he has been allowed to attend the movies or malls alone. and he must carry his phone at all times, even then.

    michele sent me.

     
  • At Sunday, December 04, 2005 8:26:00 am, Blogger Juggling Mother said…

    It was not so much that they were on their own that I found disturbing, but that they were out on their own at that time of night!

    a)sleep deprivation is a guarenteed way to cause behavioural, emotional, cognative & social problems in children (well documented & researched)

    b)Most people consider that 10.30pm is "adult" time & will speak & act differently than say when attending the ame film at 2pm.

    c)if they are expected to look after themselves at night in th cinema, I assume they would also be allowed to go to other places - or that they will go to other places at some point, which will definitely not be suitable

    d)they were asking IF she was coming to collect them. I didn't hang around to find out wht the answer was, but the question shouldn't have been needed.

    I'm all for independance & self-sufficiency in children. I could take myself across the borough at age 6 or 7 quite happily & the world is no less safe now (in fact in many ways my kids are loads safer than I was). But kids need their sleep, and adults need their own time.

     
  • At Sunday, December 04, 2005 8:43:00 am, Blogger Uisce said…

    Hello, Michele sent me! People will be people, I suppose. And that's why I avoid movie theaters completely. That and you can't bring in your own refreshments. What's up with that? :)

     
  • At Sunday, December 04, 2005 8:56:00 am, Blogger Juggling Mother said…

    We bring our own refreshments. No-one has dared to stop us for many many years. I don't blame them - I wouldn't take it kindly nowadays:-)

    We don't go that often, but occasionally it's nice to get out!

     
  • At Sunday, December 04, 2005 9:21:00 am, Blogger craziequeen said…

    I'm glad you enjoyed it :-)

    Let me know when the next one is :-)

    cq

     
  • At Sunday, December 04, 2005 9:26:00 am, Blogger ribbiticus said…

    i came into the movie without very high expectations because i knew they couldn't very well pack a 700-pager into one movie. that made my appreciation all the more surprising. i agree with you that it is a definite dvd must-have. :)

    here via michele, mrs. a! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home