The musings of a juggling mother

Rants & raves about life as a woman today, juggling work, home, kids, family, life the universe & everything.

© Mrs Aginoth. The right of Mrs Aginoth to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act 1988

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Mr Forgetful

"I forgot" had become the most heard phrase in our house recentlu. talk about the attention span of a goldfish - I don't think mstr A could rival the attention span of an amoeba sometimes.

of course, he has perfect recall when it comes to, say, which attributes each of the 150 pokemon have in his Nintendo game. However, when it comes to doing something an adult has requested, it falls out of his memory within milliseconds, & when you ask why it's not done yet "oh, I forgot" is all you get back!

On Tuesday he sat at his desk at school for two hours not writing four sentances. I agreed with his teacher that he should be kept in during break time yesterday to finish it. Yesterday he spent another hour, plus break time writing three words, so I bought the work home & made him do it after school. The rule was that he could not do ANYTHING else until it was written, so no Nintendo, no TV, no toys, no reading, no talking. It still took him 2 hours to write the four sentances (badly), and that was with me reminding him every 5 mins or so. He would write one letter then drift off into his own dreams. Is this normal? I know the inside of his brain is probably a lot more interesting than writing, but it would only take him 5 mins if he just got on with it!

the same applies to everything at the moment. If I send him upstairs to get a shirt, he'll wander into the kitchen. If I ask him to tidy his toys he'll sit & stare gormlessly at the carpet for half an hour. whenever I ask him what he's doing I get "I don't know", and if I ask why he hasn't done as requested, it's "I forgot".

Grrrrrrrrrr

7 Comments:

  • At Thursday, November 10, 2005 9:48:00 am, Blogger Aginoth said…

    Painfully awaits Nanny A to comment that he's just like his father used to be.....

     
  • At Thursday, November 10, 2005 12:05:00 pm, Blogger surly girl said…

    how old is he again? small person is five-and-a-half and does the "distracted by the carpet" thing....drives me mad!

     
  • At Thursday, November 10, 2005 12:10:00 pm, Blogger Aginoth said…

    He's 5 years 3 months....

     
  • At Thursday, November 10, 2005 1:34:00 pm, Blogger surly girl said…

    that would explain it then. it took madam fifteen minutes to put her socks on this morning, and toilet time is at an all-time record breaking average of ten minutes per visit.

     
  • At Thursday, November 10, 2005 4:32:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Mrs Aginoth, your review on Teh Blogfather is finally up. Enjoy!

     
  • At Thursday, November 10, 2005 5:08:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I thought I should read the other comments before I made mine and guess what! Aginoth has taken the words right out of my mouth.

     
  • At Thursday, November 10, 2005 5:13:00 pm, Blogger mommyguilt said…

    SmallBoy does the same thing. If it's something he's interested in or wants, he's all over it like chicken on a junebug. If it doesn't hold his interest or he just doesn't want to do it - forget it. Ain't gonna happen unless you sit on him and make him do it...otherwise, he "forgets".

    Although I think part of it I attribute to his "Aspie-ness". He remembers SO much, really doesn't forget anything, but the things that he doesn't want to do don't get filed into the memory bank as quickly. Instead, they go off on some detour and get lost on the way because he's busy thinking about something he likes (ie the pokemon - god! the pokemon!)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home